Thread: Question on Fuel Cells.....

Default Question on Fuel Cells.....

Hey all,
    I was wondering on what type of fuel cell is need for IT ? I imagine it has to be steel ? Or can it be one of the aluminum ones ? I have seen the polyethylene ones for on the cheap .

Thanks,
    John
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Was this thread always at the top of the page ??? That's what happens when I try to get "going" before the coffee kicks in....

Thanks for the heads up Greg.....

So what happened with this thread ?...I would assume you would want the steel enclosed cell , which I would assume is the FIA approved cell ?

Or thats what I think the tech person would say ....

-John
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

We never came to a general resolution other than "let's let sleeping dogs lie"...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit05 View Post
    So what happened with this thread ?...I would assume you would want the steel enclosed cell , which I would assume is the FIA approved cell ?

Or thats what I think the tech person would say ....

-John
    I've followed the several threads on this, and I have yet to see any of those in the "it must be FIA approved" camp comment on the section of the GCR that states "The use of rotary molded fuel cells not having a bladder, or not contained in a metal can, is allowable in those cars that do not require the use of a fuel cell, but where they are an allowed option. ". IMO it's pretty clear cut - the rotary molded cells do not meet FIA standards, and they are allowed in cars that are not required to use a fuel cell, ergo fuel cells for IT cars are not required to be FIA approved.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

^^^ Earl's info (first put forth by Dick, IIRC?) is the primary reason I see no value in pursuing this further (a.k.a., let sleeping dogs lie).

Though the letter of the rules is not clear and can be reasonable interpreted both ways, what Earl posits goes a long way toward inferences of the intent of the rule.

And, in fact, were I to pursue a fuel cell in my own cars, as long as I'm happy with the design and placement I'd have no personal issues with using a non-FIA cell (such as Summit's $250 versions). - GA

gotcha ...soooo I guess I have some options. Although I do like the steel one with a bladder inside. I guess it comes down to one thing, $$$$.

Thanks again for the input guys.

-John
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

I would assume you would want the steel enclosed cell , which I would assume is the FIA approved cell?
    There are plenty of aluminum enclosed cells that are FIA approved.

As far as legality of non-FIA cells, I am not so much bothered by the actual interpretation. I don't really care either way. Personally, if (likely when) I add a fuel cell, it will be FIA approved. For the record, my personal stance is that IT fuel cells need not be FIA approved.

The thing that confuses me is that if someone(s) or some group (SCCA rule makers?) actually cares which way this is interpreted, then why don't they just change the wording of the rule so there is no confusion and be done with it. Until that time, I think there will be a continuous "agree to disagree" argument.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

I just saw that the rule has been changed for fuel cells in the beginning of the June fastrack. It is now required to be a FIA -3 or higher rating cell....?
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Did they change 9.3.26 (4)?

Rotary cells are fine for IT.

What is a rotary cell ?
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Polyethelyene Cells (i.e., JAZ Plastic cells)

I just saw that the rule has been changed for fuel cells in the beginning of the June fastrack. It is now required to be a FIA -3 or higher rating cell....?
    This GCR change does not affect the context of this discussion, all it does is clarify the rule for those where an FIA-certified cell is required.

Ergo, no change vis-a-vis cell requirements in SS, SM, Touring, IT.

Joeg ,

Thanks for the clarification on that.

Greg,
    I was hoping that clause was still in affect. Again thanks, I have to get a new GCR ....

If I was to do a Rotory cell ...It would then have to also be encased in a metal housing ? Or no ..?

Just looking to kick around some ideas .

Thanks,
    John

John--It has to be separated from the driver's compartment with a metal bulkhead, but in and of itself does not need to be contained in a metal box.

9.3.26 (4) again.

The GCR is free on-line.

Yeah i just found the link to the GCR about a half hour ago. I saw the rule about the Rotary cell too. Luckily the car I am looking to do already has a bulkhead "naturally" built in . Make life a bit easier.

-John