Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: is a mk2 16v competitive?

what would be the weight difference between the 2 engine choices? Will probably be running EP here but would like to have the option to run ITA to maximize track time. Not looking to be nationally competetive or anything, just looking to get on the track and do some racing as finances permit...

personally i have had a hell of a time working with cis-e compared to the motornic setup. If i had my choice it would be 'squirted but trying to build something that fits into our regional classes haha!
    Traksclothing.com SpitfireEFI.com Meistergaugefaces.com DemonRally.com

The EP classification is for the 1.8 motor as well. An ITA car will by wayyyy out clased in EP though. That is a Level 1 prep = any cam, any head porting, convert to solid shim under bucket lifters, manifold porting, any CR, pistons, rods, crank. To be competitive there you would want something north of 220 crank hp. If the goal is track time I totally understand, but for a better shot at dual purpose a 1.8 8v in ITB and Level 2 prep HP might be a better choice.

A potentiometer (adjustable resistor), a normally closed relay and some wires are all it takes to setup CIS-E so you can turn a knob while on the dyno to set the AFR wherever you like. It does not get much more simple. Remove the knock box, and trigger the ignition module straight from the hall sender to 'pin' the timing right where you want it, and go racing.

The 2 liter is 2475#, the 1.8 2220# for the GTI 16V in ITA. You can definitely make the lower weight. I have 100# bolted to the floor of my 2280# ITB car, and have to watch fuel levels to make weight.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Oh i think you are thinking i meant E Prepared? I'm speaking of E Production, which is very similar in prep to the IT classes (ICSCC up here)

i calculated the race weights for EP and it is 2412 w/ 2L and 2286 w/ the 1.8. The top EP car in the region is a 16v gti, and he also runs in the front of the group. My goal would be to be able to come in to the group and run somewhere in the middle and develop the car from there as i get more time in the drivers seat.

I have a 2L block and head, the block has a few rally events on it after a fresh rebuild and the head has less than 1500mi on it. So for me to build a 1.8 to similar condition would run me a whole lot more dough. The advice is VERY much appreciated though thank you!
    Last edited by VWralley; 05-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.

I was also curious how strict it is for body trim/flairs/bumpers...Ideally i think i would like to run small bumpers but could run either without much of a difference. However the shell i got has a few minor body modifications that would make it a pain to ad side trim (mounting holes shaved). And the front marker lights have also been shaved.

I am referring to SCCA's E Production. Sounds like a different animal than what you have there. Sorry for the confusion.

I totally get working with what you have. I do that all the time.

IT is A-OK with pulling side moldings and filling those holes. The side markers should be there, but a pair of fenders is not real pricy.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Yeah that is kinda what i was leaning towards. Basically get on the track and go from there. Seat time first then more car prep

Ah i forgot about the SCCA production classes, yes totally different animal from what i can tell haha! I think the only big difference in the conference EP and ITA is maybe the weights...not sure. Anyways thank you for the suggestions, gonna pick the brain of the front runner and see what info he'll give up! haha