Thread: is a mk2 16v competitive?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I built my car and while I like my car a lot, it's taken forever to get it right and it costs way more than you could imagine. Used race cars can be really cheap....
    -----------
    '89 RX-7 ITS

Default 16v ITA

I run one now. Its a 1.8. I haven't touched the motor yet because I am still learning (17yrs old only 5 races). As far as I can see when someone else was in the car, there is nothing for the miatas or integras. Yes they have motors in them other than stock but still, Daytona they all walk away. Sebring is the same. I know most of it is me because I don't know the tricks of speed good enough yet but still, not very competitive. Great learner car though. Hey and I couldn't beat the price.... FREE!
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

yeah, i'm kinda figuring it would be slower i suppose, the car has a 1.8l in it... i'll probably stay with it and see what happens, weight ratio wise it seems to make more sense. whats the average cost for a cage in one of these things.(this is my 3rd mk2, been driving the hell out of them for awhile)
    Last edited by evofool; 06-18-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Where are you located? Qualified cage builders who know the rules (very important) aren't very common.

K

So what car is it that you are staying with? 1.8 or 2.0? Couldn't tell if that comment was about the previous post, or about your car.

Now with the 1.8 you must retain the small bumpers.
    I don't recall whether they were available without power steering. I know the Scirocco 16v came that way...
    Getting the fueling right above 5k rpm will make a big difference. Like 10+ hp all by itself in some cases. When you get to that point, get it on a dyno and get it right.
    Last edited by shwah; 06-18-2009 at 08:31 AM.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

The 16V needs to turn to 8000rpm to get to the power level for ITA(150+hp). The stock, legal, cams wont allow much over 7200. 7200 is about the max for the 8V with the best cam and the ECM that allows proper fuel metering. After 20 years of racing both engines , the 8V comes alive much better, class wise, and cheaper than the 16v. And the 8V will tolerate the stock style fuel system better.
    I worked for VW about 1991 or so and power steering was "standard" . I have never seen any 16v delivered without PS. They may exist ,but not many came that way.IMHO. Maybe 1987.5 Golfs, just after the Rocco intro.
    You have to use the standard details the 16V to spin. IE, piston to wall needs to be about 005. Total Seal rings. The cams need to be closed up,as much as the rules allow. The compression highest, etc.
    When you get all done, the car is still an aero brick, the roll centers are too high, the windsheild angle is too steep, etc. The ITB has a lower terminal V and the aero stuff is less of a factor. The ITA should go about 135 @ Daytona, The ITB goes about 120+-3. The 16V Golf wont go 135, the Rocco barely does.
    The 16V Jeta is much better balanced and aero wise it is a lot better, FWIW. The VW makes a great track car and midpack racer, dont ever expect to get any money back out of the vast amounts spent.
    You can buy one done for 6000$ usually. About half of the parts cost. The price is low because of the racing results, winning cars are worth more.

The 16V is a very nice power package. We drive an old beater Jett 16V. At this point in time, they are better kept than most 8V
    James, I meant to talk to you more @ Sebring about your 16V, but I was busy with our new Spiniata.
    I can send you a good base line setup for your car(known good values) E mail me ,I'll get back to you about wed next week. (Off to Summit today)
    [email protected]
    MM
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 06-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    ... The cams need to be closed up,as much as the rules allow. ...
    Okay, I'll bite. What does this mean...?

K

Buy A Used Race Car!!! But buy one as it comes off the track. You will have plenty to do sorting a used car. I know where there is an ITC Scirocco with a DOM cage suitable for Production with a quaife and a 4.40 something ring and pinion. It is just sitting collecting dust in South Florida. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by evofool View Post
    yeah, i'm kinda figuring it would be slower i suppose, the car has a 1.8l in it... i'll probably stay with it and see what happens, weight ratio wise it seems to make more sense. whats the average cost for a cage in one of these things.(this is my 3rd mk2, been driving the hell out of them for awhile)

He's not listening!!

:cool:
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place