Thread: new guy tire question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by kyle robertson View Post
    cool, this helps a lot. do most of you go through tire rack or local tire dealers to get your tires?
    It is real nice to have at track support so I tend to support them.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

okay, ill find out who is the vendor down here. im going to get a set so i can run a couple track days at PBIR before my next event because I'm chaning a lot of things on the car. i was kinda leaning towards the kumhos but I might get a set of toyos first and see how i like them. where are you located phil?

Phil will ship to you. Don't discount the quality of the shaving service. Yesterday I saw two Toyos shaved. One by another company, and one by Phil's. It was actually pretty interesting. Phil's yielded a wider contact patch and you could see the difference. Hey Phil, now that you don't have Ajah.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Kyle:
    Another alternative is to run the Nitto NT-01. It is made by Toyo and for all practical purposes is basically the same as the RA-1, save for the tread pattern. I've run both these tires on my car and can't tell the difference except in the pocketbook. The Nittos in my size (245-45-17) are about $75/set cheaper...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

My two cents:

Choose one path, or the other... in other words, choose a cheap long wearing tire to learn on, or get a fast tire that doesn't last. Only go "middle ground" if you can make the $ really work via contingency money or whatever.

Reason being is that most people chose one or the other, so you'll have plenty of others who can share their thoughts, data and setups with you. Choosing an "odd duck" tire really limits the knowledge, and knowledge is king.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

What about Toyo R888?

Although R888's are as quick as RA-1's, and similar in handling characteristics as Hoosiers or Hankooks, but not as fast, they tend not to wear as long as a RA-1, more like a Hoosier or Hankook in the wear catergory
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA