Thread: new guy tire question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You need to decide where "reasonably-priced" crosses over into "too damn much". That crossing point is directly correlated to "not fast but lasts forever" and "shit hot but I gotta replace 'em every few weekends."

For the most part, the most-supported tire in the Miata is the Toyo RA-1. Spec Miata runs 'em, so you can pretty much find all you need to know on those from that group. Plus, they're probably the cheapest within the commonly-used race tires (we tend to ignore outliers like Avon and such).

Next up in performance is the Kumho. Bit cheaper than 'Kooks, and they have a contingency program. Not too much faster than Toyo, I hear.

Next common option is the Hankook Ventus. ~10% cheaper than Hoosiers, similar performance. Their supply chain sucks, though.

Generally-accepted fast tire is the purple glue, Hoosier. Also most expensive. Also tend to tolerate fewer cycles before going "off".

Pick your poison...

Im with Mr. Greg Amy on this one too.

Toyo's are popular with the Miata crowd

Kumho is a good tire, very consistant all the way across the board. I use Kumho's on my ITA Honda Civic.

Ive never tried Hankook's before...

And yes Hoosiers are the best. At tracks around the Northeast, ive heard they're anywhere from a half second to a full second faster than any other tire. They are a lot lighter of a tire, they are also the most $$$.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_honda View Post
    And yes Hoosiers are the best. At tracks around the Northeast, ive heard they're anywhere from a half second to a full second faster than any other tire. .

Last year I ran the Hoosiers and the Hankooks on two consecutive weekends. I liked the Hankooks MUCH better and since then, have blown away all my fasted laps that I had done on the Hoosiers. Granted, there is some variables with the driver....... :cool:

I would say 3 out of the top 5 in ITA in the Northeast do NOT run Hoosiers.

I would say until you have a lot of experience, go for the Toyo. Spend the money on seat time.

<on edit> I just read John's post. Can you guess there's a lot of personal preference going on here?? LOL
    Last edited by JLawton; 06-16-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Hoosier.

This is an ITA Miata; you are not stuck with the Toyo because that is/ was the spec tire for a spec class. The consesus is it is a bit slower than a Hoosier. The old RA-1 wears like iron.

Yes the Hoosiers are expensive and they do not wear like iron. However, no one really challenges them as being the fastest, save for some Goodyears--which are also available in a 'Miata "size.

Everything else is for sticking to a strict budget.
    Last edited by joeg; 06-16-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling

cool, this helps a lot. do most of you go through tire rack or local tire dealers to get your tires?

I would say bang for the buck is the Toyo RA-1......shave it to at least 6/32nds...the more you shave it the faster it is.....but if you leave it 5 or 6/32nds you've got a pretty decent rain tire too.

Forget Tire Rack...and I'm a Tire rack dealer for 15 years.....support those who support the events you are at....

If you can't find anyone.....we are happy to help...

205/50R15 RA-1 Full tread $128 shaved $143
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by kyle robertson View Post
    cool, this helps a lot. do most of you go through tire rack or local tire dealers to get your tires?
    It is real nice to have at track support so I tend to support them.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

okay, ill find out who is the vendor down here. im going to get a set so i can run a couple track days at PBIR before my next event because I'm chaning a lot of things on the car. i was kinda leaning towards the kumhos but I might get a set of toyos first and see how i like them. where are you located phil?

Phil will ship to you. Don't discount the quality of the shaving service. Yesterday I saw two Toyos shaved. One by another company, and one by Phil's. It was actually pretty interesting. Phil's yielded a wider contact patch and you could see the difference. Hey Phil, now that you don't have Ajah.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing