Thread: If you were king for a day?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    ....This thread is a good place to bring out some ideas with some light hearted posts. What I would like to see is some input on a 10 year plan for IT. We say that rules that require removal of items add cost for all because you HAVE to do them, yet newer cars have more and more of these banned items.

It is interesting that you bring this up I often find myself looking at the older cars in IT to avoid all of the hassle that getting a newer one causes. As someone who removed the ABS from his car and ran new brake lines this is not something I think the typical new person is going to want to do.

I do think at some point IT is going to need to add the rule that "all unused wiring is allowed to be removed" considering how much "stuff" new cars come with seat heaters, navigation, etc.... I know it would add some cost to a 110% build but as we get people racing newer and newer cars racers are not going to want to have 1800ft of wire rolled up on there floor board.
    Mike Uhlinger

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    As someone who removed the ABS from his car and ran new brake lines this is not something I think the typical new person is going to want to do.
    Yeah that is on my to-do list, and I do not look forward to it. I need the weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    I do think at some point IT is going to need to add the rule that "all unused wiring is allowed to be removed" considering how much "stuff" new cars come with seat heaters, navigation, etc.... I know it would add some cost to a 110% build but as we get people racing newer and newer cars racers are not going to want to have 1800ft of wire rolled up on there floor board.
    The amount of wiring has actually diminished quite a bit with the advent of single or two wire bused networks (J1850 in GM and FORD around 96-97, CCD for DCX 98+, CAN, and a bunch of hybrid buses). This eliminated the need for home run connections except for power connections. The other thing that has improved is insulation technology.

But does not some of the "systems" that are allowed to be removed cover the wiring?

The concern for me is that to allow for maximum safety equipment (cage, good seats that are not Carbon Fiber, fire systems) and reaching minimum weight. All of these little items do add up.

D
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS