Thread: IT7 questions

Default IT7 questions

There are no requirements in the GCR. Cananyone tell me the weight requirements? Can a 1st gen 1989 RX7 with a current ITA tech inspection run in IT7? Can I run any DOT correctly sized tire and what are poeple doing now that the Toyo RA1 has gone away?

Thanks for any help,

Bruce

IT7 is based on the general IT rules. IT7 is for 79-85 1st Gen RX7's that are normally classed in ITA, just competing against other RX7s.

Not sure if your "1989" was a typo or not... but you'll go by the current ITA weight.
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Also, IT7 is not in all areas of the US unless something has changed and I missed it.
    Tom Sprecher

IT-7 isn't nationally recognized. It's actually a Regional class. Your region may, or may not support it by offering it as a distinct class. All RX-7 (first gen cars) must run ITA or lesser prep levels to be considered for IT-7 inclusion where it is offered.

The supps for any Regional will list the class if it is being offered, and should note the ITA prep level.

Specif answers to your questions:

ITA weight for the RX-7 is currently 2280. It IS possible to achieve that weight.
    Any DOT tire that fits the IT requirements is fine.
    Toyo makes another tire that replaces the RA1. Results are varied. Your tire choice will depend on your budget, your need to win, and the competitive level in your area. In my case, I run Hankooks.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 06-12-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks Jake. Looks like I'm going to be running the white whale(might be another color by then) next Sat at LRP. Thanks for the info! Still have some RA1's left and 4 new Hoosier R6's.

Are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Raycer View Post
    IT7 is based on the general IT rules. IT7 is for 79-85 1st Gen RX7's that are normally classed in ITA, just competing against other RX7s.

Not sure if your "1989" was a typo or not... but you'll go by the current ITA weight.
    Sorry...1980

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    ITA weight for the RX-7 is currently 2280. It IS possible to achieve that weight.
    Any DOT tire that fits the IT requirements is fine.
    It is possible, but highly improbable unless I can find a good diet and lose 60#.

Also, in SEDiv the RA1 or the R888 is the spec tire for IT7.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Thanks Jake. Looks like I'm going to be running the white whale(might be another color by then) next Sat at LRP. Thanks for the info! Still have some RA1's left and 4 new Hoosier R6's.

Are you running?
    I plan on running. Go register online and you'll see that you will have 6 or 7 other guys to run against.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Default IT7 weight

[quote=tom_sprecher;289917]It is possible, but highly improbable unless I can find a good diet and lose 60#.

My 1984 is now down within 45 pounds of weight. I have a .120" wall cage (If I have done my math right that adds about 30 pounds), steel wheels and my passenger door is not gutted (yet). I am spot on the assumed 170 pound weight so I think yes, we can get to weight...as long as you are not big or didn't build your car for 2380 pounds .......
    Kevin Bailey
    ITA/IT7 WDCR

Do you have a fuel cell? What about a fire suppression system? Cool shirt or helmet system? NASCAR side bars? 3" exhaust system? I have 13/4 .095 and steel wheels. Gutting the door will shave off 16# (i weighted it), but that's already been done.

My last race I was 2373 and I'm 201 of that. I am in the process of putting the car on a diet in where anything I have fabbed and added to the car will be lightened. We'll see how far it goes.

I just wonder what the extra weight costs me in lap times and if being at weight would make any real difference.
    Tom Sprecher