I think that we make a mistake if we try to argue that one group - drivers or volunteers - is paramount, and that the other group needs to fall into line (or quit). This is a symbiotic relationship - both groups are essential to make this thing work.

Remember that this is club racing. Nobody is doing this for a living. So it has to be enjoyable and worthwhile for both drivers and volunteers.

I understand why the poster thought that 200 seemed like a very large number of volunteers. It does seem like a large number. The thing is that it breaks down into individual numbers for a bunch of different specialties.

For example, we need an absolute minimum of 65-70 flaggers to staff the various stations and to provide a minimum of off-time for each volunteer. Fewer than that and you start getting the sort of burn-out I referred to in my first post. A barely-acceptable model is 2 hours on, 1 hour off. A better model is 2 hours on, 2 hours off.

The fact that there are a number of folks working some other specialty is interesting, but irrelevant. We can't say to someone, "Well, you signed up for registration, but you have to flag a corner." They will simply walk away.

The operative word here is 'volunteer'. The whole package has to be attractive enough for drivers to volunteer their entries and for workers to volunteer their time.