Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School's Out Regional - LRP

I still think it would be cool to bunch the cars back up.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I still think it would be cool to bunch the cars back up.
    Hey, if we can get in 30 laps of good racin', I'm fine with "NASCAR'n" the group as many times as you want! Just remember: green-white-checker, boogety-boogety!

Don't forget the lucky dog.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Hey, if we can get in 30 laps of good racin', I'm fine with "NASCAR'n" the group as many times as you want! Just remember: green-white-checker, boogety-boogety!

MY GOD - that was FRIGGIN HYSTERICAL
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Don't forget the lucky dog.
    I could be on lead lap!!!???
    Denise VanBuren

Actually, Dave's idea has real merit. I highly doubt the stewards would go for it, and I fear some in the group would be mightily confused.

The winner would need to just about park it after the checker for it to work. If we were really good, we could get it two by two'ed by the downhill.

(I've never been much of a fan of the longer race format...either do a sprint, or go longer...really longer. The long sprint rarely proves or changes much.)

A mid race yellow would shake things up. Would be a blast.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Doesn't even need to be a two by two, although that would be great. At start finish, throw a double yellow. Keep it double yellow throughout the course. Let the pace car driver have some fun? Have it sitting near pit out, pick the field up next lap around and control the pace / regroup the field. Green flies again at start. That would be two laps under yellow, but the time saved by putting the groups together still would yield a time savings. It would also be less confusing for some drivers.

Why not do something unique and interesting? Stewards may say no, but I'm sure volunteers would enjoy it too. This could add some excitement, be something that gets people talking, isn't what regions keep saying they want? A 15 lap race, several groups with small numbers - kinda seems like a waste to me.
    Dave Gran

Who would the appropriate person be to approach a similar idea to?
    Dave Gran

This is very interesting... might need to thing about a plan change. Love the idea of the continuous laps (still new) and a degree of reset to try again. Out comes will likely be very similar... but I am sure it would be a trip in a long stint for me to remarkably catch up to the guy in front of me and the guy behind me would be just as stoked to catch up to me...
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

Who would the appropriate person be to approach a similar idea to?
    It would be a steward, and a big one.

I thought about writing a letter, then thought about what the response would be:

"Not in the supps" Can't do it because while you 10 guys might think it's a cool idea, we didn't set it up that way and the other 30 guys might not like it"

Now, maybe not, but I'm guessing that's the general response....Dick? What say you?
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

How about a manditory pit stop for let's say 1 minute?
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    It would be a steward, and a big one.

I thought about writing a letter, then thought about what the response would be:

"Not in the supps" Can't do it because while you 10 guys might think it's a cool idea, we didn't set it up that way and the other 30 guys might not like it"

Now, maybe not, but I'm guessing that's the general response....Dick? What say you?
    If I remember correctly you would need the chief steward and the SOMs to agree as this is a change in the supps. You would probably stand a better chance if you first convince the event chair as I would expect the stewards to ensure that the event was okay with that change. Finally, it would probably be far easier to convince all of the officials if there was obvious, overwhelming support from the entrants.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Matt is right that once the supps are published changes can only be done by the chief steward with the consent of the Chairman of the event (also a steward). They are usually reluctant to making changes as it assumed that drivers read the supps and entered based on expectations of how the event would be run.
    It is kind of a business 101 principle, set expectations, meet expectations.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    It is kind of a business 101 principle, set expectations, meet expectations.
    Set expectations, EXCEED expectations.

Earn more customers.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

As of 8AM 6/13/09

G1, Big Bore=9
    G2, SM=29
    G3, ITR,S,B=23
    G4, SRF=10
    G5, SSM, Small Bore=25
    G6, Small Open=5
    G7, ITA,7=21
    G8, Big Open, SR=16

That highlighted four groups are 70% of the entries and get 50% of the track time. For gosh sake there is a 5 car run group! This must change. Either combine groups further (hard to do at LRP), have a restricted regional, or reward the run groups that are paying the freight with longer races; say 10 laps vs. 20 laps. You might lose some in the bottom 4, but you probably gain in the top 4.

I sure hope New England Region has 60 cars entered into the school.

DZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zaslow View Post
    As of 8AM 6/13/09

G1, Big Bore=9
    G2, SM=29
    G3, ITR,S,B=23
    G4, SRF=10
    G5, SSM, Small Bore=25
    G6, Small Open=5
    G7, ITA,7=21
    G8, Big Open, SR=16

That highlighted four groups are 70% of the entries and get 50% of the track time. For gosh sake there is a 5 car run group! This must change. Either combine groups further (hard to do at LRP), have a restricted regional, or reward the run groups that are paying the freight with longer races; say 10 laps vs. 20 laps. You might lose some in the bottom 4, but you probably gain in the top 4.

I sure hope New England Region has 60 cars entered into the school.

DZ
    I know they do not like it, but the small open wheel group just has to get merged. They have got to get their car counts up.
    Jeremy Billiel

At start finish, throw a double yellow. Keep it double yellow throughout the course. Let the pace car driver have some fun? Have it sitting near pit out, pick the field up next lap around and control the pace / regroup the field. Green flies again at start. That would be two laps under yellow, but the time saved by putting the groups together still would yield a time savings. It would also be less confusing for some drivers.

Why not do something unique and interesting? Stewards may say no, but I'm sure volunteers would enjoy it too. This could add some excitement, be something that gets people talking, isn't what regions keep saying they want? A 15 lap race, several groups with small numbers - kinda seems like a waste to me.
    I think this would be great fun! Something different, and as you say, fun for the drivers, as well as for the flaggers and the spectators. But the flagging would be a little more challenging that just showing a checker and a double yellow at the same time at the end of 15 laps. You can't go full course yellow while the guys who haven't yet seen the checker are still racing for position. The double yellows would have to go up as the winner gets to each station....then go full course yellow as the last car takes the checker (hmmmm....might have to think this through some more....this would be a fun challenge for F&C). Then you can be full course yellow as long as you want to be, with or without the safety car, and resume the race.

If you're really serious about doing something like this, isn't there a way to make it happen? Not at LRP in June, but at another event? Very creative, I love it.
    Leigh McBride
    National F & C
    Mo-Hud Region

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zaslow View Post
    Without Crazy Joe it should be safe.....

DZ
    Who said I'm not gonna be there?
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dominojd View Post
    Who said I'm not gonna be there?
    The registration list for a race 6 days away?

Bring it!

ITR: 6
    ITS: 5
    ITA: 13
    ITB: 12
    ITC: 0
    IT7: 7
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Where's the New Beetle in ITC?
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region