Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: safety speech

Duc,
    The only right side nets that I have seen recommended are the strap ones. Mine has some sort of non stretch kevlar stuff that is supposed to not stretch or something. I was used in the C5R LeMans vettes and this one is just smaller. Figures that was a smart idea...

The net has a quick release at the mount which makes it easy to "dump" in you needed a speedy passenger side exit.

No idea and no affiliation... pretty sure I dropped cash here:
    http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/wordpress/?cat=12

Thanks
    BB
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Jake, your bias is showing.
    Ahh, oh well, LOL.
    Some of us chose the head protection seat not because we realized our HANS was inferior ... we just chose it because it's obviously safer than a non-head-protection seat. Frankly at the time that I bought that seat in 2006 I'd never even heard of an Isaac and had never seen any side-impact H&R restraint numbers. I bought a HANS in back in 2004 because I knew it was safer than the horse collar I had been using and everyone else had one. Actually I'm not sure how anyone would have known that Isaac existed in 2004, or even 2008, without reading this forum or rr-ax. I still have never actually seen one in person.

But yes, you're right, I personally didn't consider the egress issue associated with that seat until I mounted it in the car.
    I think I got my H&NR system around that time as well. I read up a bit, and yes, found out that there was more than a HANS that was effective via this, and other webboards. I became aware of that design seat later, and the one I saw was marketed as a "Hans supplement"....but I still seriously considered one. Until I saw one installed in a car, and the bell went off..'How will I squirm my 6'3" self out an RX-7 window that has THAT blocking it!?!?!".

If I drove a car with a larger window, (like perhaps my next car). I'll get a halo seat, because, even though I've had a hard enough side hit to send the car to the frame shop and break a few ribs, and I've never had a twinge of pain in my neck post incident, a better seat than my current Momo could only help.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

***I bought a HANS in back in 2004 because I knew it was safer than the horse collar I had been using and everyone else had one. ***

We been discussing H&N restraints for a very long time on this site. Google is a wonderful tool. When I procure race car associated stuff I look at available data so that I receive maximum return. There is a lot of data out there. With an Isaac a person obtains maximum protection with minimal clutter.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Sorry, boys... a RHS net alone WILL do more than an ISAAC alone in this case. BTDT.

Of course, the best solution is both; Sam Moore t-boned me hard on the RHS at last year's ARRC 9not his fault, I was spinning cross-track) while I was wearing my ISAAC and have the Safety Solutions RHS net. I was fine, and finished the remaining 16-odd laps and ended on the podium. The car had to go to the frame rack afterwards.

Still, that was better than the time shortly after I got my ISAAC and I smacked the wall hard on the right, no RHS net. Bounced hard off the petty bar with my cranium, not fun. Cut that bar out and installed the center net right after. Well, once the car was fixed, that is.

No, I don't have a containment seat. No decent options in my budget, and the nets are more reliable/robust IMO.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

The key is controlling lateral motion at the shoulders. Once that's accomplished most of the problems are solved if the H&N restrain has good lateral numbers. Watch the rear-view mirror for head motion.

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by gsbaker; 06-11-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

So I guess it goes without saying that you turned in to early and too hard at the kink??
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

***So I guess it goes without saying that you turned in to early and too hard at the kink??***

That make be correct for a kink, but please don't turn in early at THE KINK.

I don't expect to test my Pro road racing seat with shoulder support & Isaac any time soon except that when I do I expect the results shown in Greg's video.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

The lack of movement is significant... looks lik it was "flat hit" and not moving too fast... had fast was that hit?

What is up with the Dfender option? Anyone have one? I hope that no one has "used" one, but if you had to... any reports.
    BB
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)