Thread: Honda Head Gasket

Default Honda Head Gasket

I have an 89 Civic si with 1.6L motor. Blew a head gasket Saturday. I'd like some input on what may be considered the best brand of gasket to use as a replacement. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Honestly I a factory honda gasket will work just fine. They will also insure that the water ports are the right size (on a previous motor another brand blocked the majority of them). If you want to try to increase your compression you can run a thinner compressed gasket. I am a fan of MLS (multi-level-steel) gaskets.. Many compaines make them.. my favorite was cometic from back in the Nitrous and Boost days.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by tcc1577 View Post
    I have an 89 Civic si with 1.6L motor. Blew a head gasket Saturday. I'd like some input on what may be considered the best brand of gasket to use as a replacement. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What happened? Overheat? Are you having the head decked?

I am in a similar situation. Having it decked, told to use the Felpro gasket because it is a bit thicker and easier to get compression across the entire gasket
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

if you are planning on running a stock-type gasket, take a look at the D16-Y8 part ('96-'00 EX) - it is readily available and thinner than most of the other iterations, so it will raise your CR a touch. use one of the many online calcs to roughly figure your compression based on machining you may have done.

factory all the way, felpro in a pinch, cometic if you have the dough.

If this is an ITA car then the thinner gaskets are not legal. Just run the stock gasket or a Fel-Bro. But make sure it is not the recall gasket if you get one from Honda.

Default Honda Head Gasket

It did overheat. I will be having it shaved a bit. I've also heard goof things about the Fel-Pro and Cometic. I'm leaning toward Cometic but would still like to hear from some other people with more experience with this than I. Thanks

I have used factory, Fel-Pro, and Cometic without any issues on IT motors. The current motor is using a Fel-Pro.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

Quote Originally Posted by bamfp View Post
    If this is an ITA car then the thinner gaskets are not legal.
    Missed that. seems odd given the CR increase limit and piston / head rules, but there it is in 9.1.3.D.o.

guess i've been playing with the prod car too much...

Quote Originally Posted by tcc1577 View Post
    It did overheat. I will be having it shaved a bit. I've also heard goof things about the Fel-Pro and Cometic. I'm leaning toward Cometic but would still like to hear from some other people with more experience with this than I. Thanks
    What are you planning on for head bolts? Cant seem to locate ARP.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    What are you planning on for head bolts? Cant seem to locate ARP.
    I studded my head the last time it was off.
    ARP-208-4301 Summit Racing Part Number
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    I studded my head the last time it was off.
    ARP-208-4301 Summit Racing Part Number
    Just curious did you use factory tq settings or did you use what ARP gave you?
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Guys

Why are you going through the ARP stud process? Stock head bolts are more than capable of holding the torque. Head studs normally are used when you start cranking up big compression changes etc.......

Headbolts can be reused once, and should be replaced during a new or rebuild.

Of coarse there will be dissenters so this is IMHO

we will be running studs on our next prod car motor. The reason why I asked is because it says in capital letters in ARP instructiosn to not use factory tourques use theirs.. I torqued to factory.. and when I tried to increase to what ARP spelled out.. It pulled the threads right out of the block.
    Last edited by quadzjr; 06-05-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    Just curious did you use factory tq settings or did you use what ARP gave you?
    ARP, and it was for simplicity reasons I used them.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

"o. Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced with similar items performing the same fastening function(s). Cylinder head gasket(s) may be replaced with any gasket(s) having the same compressed thickness as stock. Other engine gaskets are unrestricted. Engine drive belts may be replaced with others of equivalent OEM specifications."

Compression bumps should occur only when overboring up to .040" *and/or* shaving the head.

Last edited by mossaidis; 06-05-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: and/or
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.