I was recently thinking about the 50lb mid engine adder. I agree 100% that having the center of mass of the engine and drive train closer to the center of the chassis will enable the car to have a lower polar moment of inertia, thusly allow it to rotate easier, and change direction easier, yadda.. yadda.. yadda. IT is all physics we can't escape that.

Then I started thinking further about the MR2. The center of mass of the entire engine and drivetrain is probably a few inches in front of the rear wheels, mush like a FWD car is infront of the front wheels. Now if we look at RWD cars for the most part the center of mass of the drivetrain is probably significantly further towards the middle of the car than my "mid-engine" MR2.

Then I thought of the miata, It's entire drive train is between the axle centerlines. So by definition why is this not considered a mid engine car? and it's drive train center of mass is well within the axle centerlines.

So if we look from a pure physic's world, and the definition of mid engine. (engine center of mass between wheel centerlines). how does the MR2 and X1/9 differ from a miata?

Just thinking..