Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is $350 for a single day regional a record?

Default Is $350 for a single day regional a record?

Looking at the entry fee for the June 20 LRP. Is $350 for a single day regional a record? Not to be beating a dead horse, just wondering.

Why does it matter?
    Jeremy Billiel

$350 early and $400 regular for two 20 minute sessions

You would have to be crazy to register for that me thinks

Roughly how many people need to register for the region to break even?

FOLKS! Let's not put ourselves out of business putting down our product. If everybody moans about an extra $50 and nobody shows, we will no longer have the races.

I always say the least expensive part of this sport is the entry fee...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Ben, Yea I hate to bad mouth our own thing here but its just gotten rediculous. Its time for a serious overhaul. Yea this topic is a dead horse but hey this club needs a good chop cut rebuild.

Next time you're at the track, find Mr Skip Barber, and politely ask what's up with the $56,000, plus plus plus, that he charges. A region needs to find (rumour has it) between 70K and 80K to break even. I think NER is expecting a loss, but is "taking one for the team" for this year.

Jeremy correct me if I misspoke.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Wow Matt, no I feel pretty silly for signing up for the race. I was actually happy it wasn't $400 regardless of when one registered. Maybe I should just do comp schools instead.

Next time you're at the track, find Mr Skip Barber, and politely ask what's up with the $56,000, plus plus plus, that he charges. A region needs to find (rumour has it) between 70K and 80K to break even. I think NER is expecting a loss, but is "taking one for the team" for this year.
    Doing just that is aweful tempting. Think Steph would ever invite me as a guest to the club again? LOL!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by rsx858 View Post

Roughly how many suckers need to register for the region to break even?
    70k rental + 10k misc expenses = 80k / 350 = ~230 entries.

fuck that shit. i just wouldn't hold events there anymore.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    70k rental + 10k misc expenses = 80k / 350 = ~230 entries.

fuck that shit. i just wouldn't hold events there anymore.
    Agreed

Two ways this goes down, we can keep begging our membership to pay bogus prices for all these events until we've lost the shirts off our backs

or

we can cut back on our over-supply of events especially ones as crazy as this and next year provide fewer but better attended, cheaper, and profitable events.

Well it is really up to the drivers who pay the bills. Gee I guess that is the way it should be. If you love LRP with its history and unforgiving nature and are willing to pay $350 to race at the legendary track SCCA is providing that opportunity to you. If you do not like the track, are uncomfortable with the limited track time and think it is too much money fine SCCA provides event at Pocono and NHMS just for you.
    As long as enough members want to race there we will. When they vote no with their wallets it will go away. if you do not want to race there it has no effect of you. If you think that having less races at LRP will make more drivers enter Pocono or NH I believe you are mistaken.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    When they vote no with their wallets it will go away.
    the vote is in... Regions have lost money on events like this, yet they have not gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony1k View Post
    Looking at the entry fee for the June 20 LRP. Is $350 for a single day regional a record? Not to be beating a dead horse, just wondering.
    Your out of your mind if you pay that! Hell our region has a double this weekend for $300.00. But I guess the cost of living is way higher where you guys are at, so you can afford it. ;~)

I was going to do the school and regional but I think now only the regional. Line must be drawn somewhere.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

The wallet agruement won't work. As long as NARRC/NERRC and others keep offering LRP events, folks will go because of series or region loyalty, scheduling options even if pricing goes to $500/day - yet regions will continue to loss money since they are not going to get the entires needed to break even.

Until Palmer comes aboard, Monticello opens it doors at a cheaper rate or we limit our schedule (which I think we should - from 14 to 10 events), this trend will continue. Paying $350 at LRP stinks, yet I know the reality of the situation given the story from many HPDE/TT clubs I used to run with. Yes, it's $70K-$80K/day. This is business and Skip will do what is necessary. Don't get me started on the "paving fee" that man chanrged clubs/regions for years - where's that money? GONE and probably spent on buying new cars for his racing shool!

Other the other hand, LRP is a 1.5 hour tow for me - no need for hotel room *maybe* unless it's two day event. Don't get me started on hotels around LRP - $200/night for reasonable room - BLAH it's tah-tah CT - so I am okay with one day events at LRP.

I *Think* am going to the Pro-IT at Mohud's LRP National event on 8/1. It will be more affordable since it's Pro-IT but still a ton of money - why, cause I feel bad about my region's situation and decision - but so be it. I have voiced my opinion here and with my regional and will NOT likely support another event unless the timing is right (no back to back weekend racing) and pricing does not go up.

I like Andy's idea: keep the June school and runoffs at LRP - drop everything else. It's not worth it.

Needless to say, I (and I imagine all the NE regions) can't wait for (Dick) Palmer Motorsports Park.
    Last edited by mossaidis; 06-03-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammar
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

We just had a regional at LRP and that was "only" $290. I'd like to know if NNJR made or lost money on that one. I agree that, as racing goes, $60 is a drop in the proverbial bucket. But you have to draw the line somewhere. Why not $400 or $500? LRP entry fees are becoming a test case for price elasticity of demand.

Having said that, I love the place and I plan to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Jeremy correct me if I misspoke.
    Jake..You are so right!! Skip Barber doesn't care abour NER SCCA(or any SCCA region) IMHO. It's not the region's fault that they are getting charged crazy prices.

What Skip doesn't seem to realize is that the same folks that race in NER SCCA also ateend the Koni Challenge, ALMS and the Rolex and might not be so inclined to buy tickets for his events given our treatment by LRP. SCCA made Lime Rock what it is today. I went to my first race in 58 and a zillion regional and national races in the 60's and 70's and the track would not have survived with out those races!!

Wow guys... How many more times are we going to have this conversation?

Yes NNJ lost money at LRP. They lost a good amount AND they were able to get around usual contractual items like having to use LRP catering, etc.

If you don't like the entry fee, DO NOT GO!!! If you like it great. Yes NER will loose money on this event. How many cars will be there for the school? Don't forget that the school is the same price to rent the track and we do it to support our new racers!

Guys please, please think big picture here... Please come to Road Racing board meetings, everyone has all these opinions, but every CRB meeting I am at its the same group of people doing their best to put on these events.
    Jeremy Billiel

You guys who are blaming Skip need to talk to Bob Zecca about the finances of the track and what is profitable and why. He has many contraints.

Vote with your wallets. 3 Regionals at LRP is WAY to much. I am not sure how many times we have to tell the PTB's this. I'll say this again:

Too much supply for the current demand (which is not bad BTW). Pull back supply and watch average car counts and event profitablity rise and entry fees fall.

I bleed SCCA red and NER yellow...but until the organizers realize they are doing it to themselves, they put the regions at risk.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

While I'm trying to be a good sport about it and take the high road - ya sure won't see me there.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Ben - you are able to stay objective even though you carry the same addiction as they rest of us - good for you.

Jeremy - your method of using demand and people's ability to spend money is a tactical one, not strategic. This ecomony will still suffer for another year (at least). Like Andy, my advice would be to plan ahead and have the NESCCA be smarter about event planning. So not to repeat, I completely agree with Andy here - NE regions will put themselves out of business at this rate or only cater to the rich and wealthy.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.