Thread: Sorry bout that ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think you did fine. It probably wasn't seen as a big deal...hey, it's racing, not lapping...but the chat in the paddock is always classy, and that's always the better choice.

Also, just "looking" like you're going to pass will get you some passes done even if you weren't all that serious...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Look at it this way. I got clocked in the ITA race as lap traffic slowed me up. Don't really know who was at fault as I never saw him and we made contact at the apex of T7. All I have is his front rubber on my rear wheel. Minor damage and some sore ribs. Didn't know who he was until I reviewed the video last night.

But he never bothered to find me to see if I was OK. So, in my mind, the issue was never resolved and he remains the AH instead of, maybe, a friend.

This is club racing and we all make mistakes otherwise we'd be making our living doing this. We're out on the track with each other lots of times and it is the least you can do to make sure the guy is OK after an incident, apologize for a close call or just say thanks for a great battle, won or lost.

Maybe he didn't know who you were either.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

The peace sign is done palm out (hard to do while in harness).
    Two fingers up, palm in (as in Steve McQueen gesture in LeMans) is less nice.

The book "A French Kiss with Death" describes the origin of the 2 finger salute.
    English longbowmen who fell into the hands of the French, would have their string pulling fingers cut off. This insured that the flower of French knighthood would not suffer again from the same bowman. It goes on to say that before a battle, the English would taunt the French by waving the 2 fingers in the air as a gesture indicating that the fingers remain and the French would move at their peril. Steve McQueen originally wanted to use the American single finger salute, but was offered a more elegant 2 finger version by a British photographer on the set.
    Jim S.

The meaning "you are trying to cut me off, but not with me" translates nicely into racing.

Is it politically correct to show the gesture to a French competitor?
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by raceita View Post
    The peace sign is done palm out (hard to do while in harness).
    Two fingers up, palm in (as in Steve McQueen gesture in LeMans) is less nice.

The book "A French Kiss with Death" describes the origin of the 2 finger salute.
    English longbowmen who fell into the hands of the French, would have their string pulling fingers cut off. This insured that the flower of French knighthood would not suffer again from the same bowman. It goes on to say that before a battle, the English would taunt the French by waving the 2 fingers in the air as a gesture indicating that the fingers remain and the French would move at their peril. Steve McQueen originally wanted to use the American single finger salute, but was offered a more elegant 2 finger version by a British photographer on the set.
    Jim S.
    The peace sign is also done with the fingers completely straight, forming a V. The difference is easy to see. I've never had a problem.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata