Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seat mounting rules

Quote Originally Posted by mtownneon View Post
    Seat and belt mounting should never ber attached directly to the tub of a prduction based car. It should always be attached to the cage structure.

The problem of the "third" mounting point discussed is it creates a place where the seat mount can bind an not allow the seat mount to move with the cage, especially the main hoop and the door bars. In the current SCCA cage rules you are allowed as many "touches" as you like so if you want you could put a foot on the seat mount at the right front corner but I'd only tack it to the mount and just let it rest on the floor pan.

Here's a couple of pics of how I do the seat mounts in production based road race and circle track cars. The pics don't include the belt mounting tabs, I don't add those on the seat mount tubes until I have the seat mounted and the driver in place to insure belt angle to avoid dumping.

Very nice fabrication of a very dangerous cage design. The car will be in the drivers lap in an A pillar hit. Going a little to far to help driver exit. Unless there is something higher not shown in the pictures that is no better than one door bar.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Guys, as usual you do not disappoint, this has been a good discussion. I am going to send the letter into the CRB but I am going to reference this thread because I think you guys vetted it very well.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I think there are a number of methods of buildign a seat mount that attaches to the cage, and doesn't attach to the car, meeting the rules as written, AND providing the safety desired.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com