I have never liked seeing novice permits at longer races. When I've signed up to go do a 12 or 24 hour race there is so much more riding on my stints than for a 20 minute sprint. In a sprint any mistake will cost you, but there aren't 2 or 3 other drivers waiting in the pitlane to get a turn, nor are there 5 to 10 guys who gave up their weekend (and then some) to come help change tires & fuel the car. There are enough ways to damage the car just by dropping a wheel off the track, you don't need help from others. You certainly don't need inexperience to add to the mix.

Sprint races don't have pit stops and driver changes which put a driver out in a hot car but perhaps w/ questionable conditions mid race.

Sprint races don't have 120 minute stints, 10+ different classes of cars together (think ITC vrs some ITE monster), dark, weather that goes from dry to downpour to dry in a single stint, cars that handle different when full of fuel vrs empty. The list goes on.

Go look up the Car & Driver review of what they did in an MX-5 last year the Nelson 24 hour and then ask yourself if novice drivers make sense.

The licesnsing process leaves a little to be desired in some cases. Just because you've gotten through 2 days of school means bupkis at times. Maybe I'm self centered but I'd rather have people learn at a race where their exposure is smaller.

Yes it sucks to have your plan changed, but you should be able to find another driver.

Matt