Thread: Yokahama A048

Default Yokahama A048

Looking for any info on these tires for use as race tires. I'd prefer facts, but I will accept opinions. I know they are pricey, but have an opportunity for a good deal on new tires. They would be used on a FWD SSC car if that affects anyone's opinion.

Thanks.

Came stock on my Exige. Ok track tire, crap race tire. I would guess, butt dyno, 2-3 slower a lap than Hoosiers on the Exige.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Junk. Spec tire for SRF for a short time, until the uproar caused an early exit (...) from the contract with Yokohama and a move to Goodyear.

I ended up giving them away (auto-x'er ? dock fenders ?), as I couldn't find anyone dumb enough to want to race on them.

But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the input. That is what I assumed but wanted to be certain before I turned down a good deal.

Rory

These guys are being hard on them. I agree they are outclassed at the same price by other tires... but they are decent. Not worth the $$ unless you get a smokin deal. I likened them to a Toyo RA1 with about 10% more grip -- but they'd get greasy after some work on a hot day (like in a race).

Good tire, bad choice for anything more than an HPDE session.
    Justin
    90 Nissan 240sx #87