Thread: We can build it.... better than before...

Default We can build it.... better than before...

Hello. As some of you might know, my little Sentra decided that it no longer needed the #3 rod/a bunch of other things and spit them out on the track during the 7th of 8 driver's school sessions. The good news is that we've got another motor and just about all of the stuff to make it work again.

The question I had for you wonderful folks is this: since IT is a mostly stock motor class, is a new clutch something that I should even be considering? Or is that one of those things that is just best to replace when it goes bad? I know it makes more sense to do it now since the motor will be sitting nice and pretty on a stand, but are there large gains to be made in the clutch department over stock? As long as the stock clutch isn't slipping will I be fine running that one?

Also, I'm looking at aftermarket radiators and stumbled across a company called Mishimoto that makes a good lookin one for about $100 less than a Koyo. Anyone have any info on these? Good/bad experiences?

As always, any advice here is greatly appreciated!

-Brett
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

Almost forgot! Are underdrive pulleys another consideration for my rebuild here? I'm sure I could get along without them, but will I see any significant gains having them?

-Thanks
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

Brett.

It depends....if you don't plan on building a full bore race motor in the next 12 months, I say replace the clutch while you have it out. If it's the latter, run what you have and replce the clutch when you build up the motor. You don't need anything too fancy either. I good brand of clutch and pressure plate will be fine, as opposed to some "tuner" one.

You'll get some debate about Underdrive Pulleys. Most of the Nissans use a weighted one with harmonic balancers. It varies per engine, but the engineers put those things on for a reason. UD's biggest advantage is lower rpms for accesories and it may reduce cavitaion a bit in the water pump. I don't know enough about your motor to give you any advice other than google it and see what folks with you cars are saying about them.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    Almost forgot! Are underdrive pulleys another consideration for my rebuild here? I'm sure I could get along without them, but will I see any significant gains having them?

-Thanks

Very important on an SR. Not so much for power, but they are known to have serious cavitation at high rpms. They are pretty much a requirement for any SR that sees track duty.

Default mishimoto?

I have the same questions on the Mishimoto radiators. Price looks pretty good and from the pics I've seen the welds look nice. However, I have not seen one in person. If anybody has opinions let them be known.

db

Always replace a clutch when things are torn down for other repairs.

As for the RAD, what is its capacity compared to what you have?

Brett, the water pump pulley of a Stanza is a good cheap upgrade over the stock SE-R water pump pulley. It does require that the inside be milled off to fit though. There's a write up somewhere on the web on how to do it.
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Quote Originally Posted by Racerlinn View Post
    Brett, the water pump pulley of a Stanza is a good cheap upgrade over the stock SE-R water pump pulley. It does require that the inside be milled off to fit though. There's a write up somewhere on the web on how to do it.

I believe it only requires a bit of the front cover to be ground to clear.
    Blair Judson
    91 NX2000 (former SSB car, someday ITA car?)

On your Sentra you didn't say how old the current clutch is. If is original to the car you should replace it while everything is apart. Courtesy Nissan (they have a website to look at but you can also call) sells a nice set-up with an upgraded ACT pressure plate and a stock late model SE-R disk (which I beleive is carbon-kevlar friction material). This set-up with a new throw out bearing should last a very, very long time without too heavy pedal effort.

The best radiator is the Nissan Motorsports HD radiator, which is really the euro market turbo 20DET part. This also includes a higher pressure rad cap (same as a turbo Z cap). With this rad you will not overheat and may need to cover some of it when outside temps are very cold. If you do not upgrade, a new stock type part with a higher pressure cap would be far better than an old partially clogged up part.

The Stanza pulley is supposed to be a good set-up to lower the water pump speed. I think non-AC equiped Sentra SE-Rs also had a smaller WP pulley as stock. You will also need a slightly shorter polyrib belt for these pulleys. The underdrive crank pulley as already noted does not have a harmonic balancer. On the other hand it will slow down both the water pump and the power steering pump. Again I would talk to the guys at Courtesy Nissan.
    Tom Broring
    Wash DC Region
    ITA Nissan Sentra SER
    HP Triumph Spitfire
    HP VW Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by T Broring View Post
    The best radiator is the Nissan Motorsports HD radiator, which is really the euro market turbo 20DET part. This also includes a higher pressure rad cap (same as a turbo Z cap). With this rad you will not overheat and may need to cover some of it when outside temps are very cold. If you do not upgrade, a new stock type part with a higher pressure cap would be far better than an old partially clogged up part.

I think non-AC equiped Sentra SE-Rs also had a smaller WP pulley as stock.
    The GTiR rad isn't nearly as big as a Koyo. It's also no longer available. The Nismo cap is also good for another pound or two of pressure over the Z32 cap. I'd have to look when I get home (I have both caps there).

There is only one stock pulley for all B13's with SR's.
    Blair Judson
    91 NX2000 (former SSB car, someday ITA car?)

Where did you guys find an oil filter relocator for the SR20? I'm having a little trouble finding something at a reasonable price.
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    Where did you guys find an oil filter relocator for the SR20?
    We didn't relocate the oil filter... - GA

On edit:
    - Koyo radiator
    - UOR pulleys
    - JWT Clutch pressure plate with '00 B14 factory disc and stock T/O brg.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 06-15-2009 at 10:02 PM.