Thread: We can build it.... better than before...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default We can build it.... better than before...

Hello. As some of you might know, my little Sentra decided that it no longer needed the #3 rod/a bunch of other things and spit them out on the track during the 7th of 8 driver's school sessions. The good news is that we've got another motor and just about all of the stuff to make it work again.

The question I had for you wonderful folks is this: since IT is a mostly stock motor class, is a new clutch something that I should even be considering? Or is that one of those things that is just best to replace when it goes bad? I know it makes more sense to do it now since the motor will be sitting nice and pretty on a stand, but are there large gains to be made in the clutch department over stock? As long as the stock clutch isn't slipping will I be fine running that one?

Also, I'm looking at aftermarket radiators and stumbled across a company called Mishimoto that makes a good lookin one for about $100 less than a Koyo. Anyone have any info on these? Good/bad experiences?

As always, any advice here is greatly appreciated!

-Brett
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

Almost forgot! Are underdrive pulleys another consideration for my rebuild here? I'm sure I could get along without them, but will I see any significant gains having them?

-Thanks
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    Almost forgot! Are underdrive pulleys another consideration for my rebuild here? I'm sure I could get along without them, but will I see any significant gains having them?

-Thanks

Very important on an SR. Not so much for power, but they are known to have serious cavitation at high rpms. They are pretty much a requirement for any SR that sees track duty.

Default mishimoto?

I have the same questions on the Mishimoto radiators. Price looks pretty good and from the pics I've seen the welds look nice. However, I have not seen one in person. If anybody has opinions let them be known.

db

Always replace a clutch when things are torn down for other repairs.

As for the RAD, what is its capacity compared to what you have?

Brett, the water pump pulley of a Stanza is a good cheap upgrade over the stock SE-R water pump pulley. It does require that the inside be milled off to fit though. There's a write up somewhere on the web on how to do it.
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Brett.

It depends....if you don't plan on building a full bore race motor in the next 12 months, I say replace the clutch while you have it out. If it's the latter, run what you have and replce the clutch when you build up the motor. You don't need anything too fancy either. I good brand of clutch and pressure plate will be fine, as opposed to some "tuner" one.

You'll get some debate about Underdrive Pulleys. Most of the Nissans use a weighted one with harmonic balancers. It varies per engine, but the engineers put those things on for a reason. UD's biggest advantage is lower rpms for accesories and it may reduce cavitaion a bit in the water pump. I don't know enough about your motor to give you any advice other than google it and see what folks with you cars are saying about them.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56