Thread: 528e ITA classification

Default 528e ITA classification

I am wondering how to get a 528e considered for classification for the ITA class. This is the reason i am asking.

The 528e carries the same exact motor as the 325e that is now classed. The 4 door 325e weights roughly the same as the 528e. They are roughly the same car with a different body. There were a huge amount of 528s produced in the states. This makes for simple access to parts/motors and also makes for an easy and low cost entry into racing. A win win for all!

Can someone get me pointed in the right direction to get this ball rolling to get this great car classed (forms/contacts, etc etc).

any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

Eddie

Eddie, thanks for the post.

You will need to write a letter request, and fill out a VTS sheet for the car. They can be downloaded here:

http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=44

You will then need to submit it (the letter and VTS sheet) to the SCCA. I think (other ITAC members may correct me)

[deleted cause it was wrong]

Look forward to receiving it.

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffYoung; 05-27-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The correct e-mail address for all club racing rules requests is [email protected].
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Eddie...I respect your attempt to classify the 528...however I doubt it will be classed ITA. Probably a B or even a C car because of weight. Stock weight was in the 3500 pound category and the current 325e is classified at 2550...I doubt you can make that weight legally. It might, however, make a very interesting ITB car. Good luck, Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Thanks for the advice guys...The information i found puts the 528e production weight at roughly 2950 pounds.

I already have one i am racing for TT in the ITO class but there's no way to compete in this class because of the "openess" of the cars allowed. With the 325e already classed i would think this would be a fairly simple process to put the car in the ITA or the ITB class.

I have my 528e down to a weight of roughly 2600 at the moment. I will have to do an exact measurement when sending in the paperwork.

If you can get the car down to 2600 lbs or so, that would be helpful for the ITAC to know. It will affect our thinking as to whether it is a B or an A car.

Which chassis designation is this?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by ebassett View Post
    I already have one i am racing for TT in the ITO class ...

I have my 528e down to a weight of roughly 2600 at the moment. I will have to do an exact measurement when sending in the paperwork.
    You're down to 2600 with only IT-legal mods, no additional lightening? That's pretty impressive.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Jeff- its the e28 model years 82-87 (not the 88 eta version engine)

Josh - Thanks! The e28 chassis is a slight variation to the 325e's foor door counterpart. The electric front seats that were stock had to weigh 80 pounds apiece! :eek: After reading the IT rules i believe i am within compliance. Remember i still only have a 4 point roll bar and not the entire cage yet, so i don't know what difference weight wise that could make.

Chuck - As you probably know the e28 528e and the e30 325e share the same engine. Some of these questions on the VTS sheet concerning the valve system are questions i have no idea where to look to even begin to find. Is there someplace the 325e valve system specs for its classification be so i can transpose those direct to the 528e VTS sheet?

Thanks all for your help!!!

Some of the more esoteric information on the VTS we can do without. We'd need at the very least all of the information you see listed for each car in the ITCS, plus stock power and torque figures. If you can provide information about the entire generation (range of years/trim/whatever) of the car in question, that can be important, too.

K

Eddie --

Kirk is right on the VTS sheets. Shoot me a PM or an e-mail at [email protected] and I will walk through with you what we need and don't need. Just did this exercise myself with the V8 ITR Camaros.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Actually you can copy the valve specs off the 325e spec line.

I assume 2600 without driver. The 325e is 2550 with driver. Interesting project, let me know if I can help. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Chuck - AH you are correct. I didn't realize the weights included driver. 2600 is w/o driver. I think that will make a big difference then.

Tim - You should be receiving an email shortly.

Again, thanks for everyones help!