Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
One thing that I am absolutely against would be some sort of spec line allowance. If a change is made, make it for the whole class.

I can see the argument for a 'sunset' period when a car is moved from A to B that allows dual classification.

Also, if a change were made under the guise of availability of products, it should move right to 7", not 6.5". While 6.5 is pretty common for 15" wheels, and obtainable in 16" wheels, the majority of the C and B cars are on 13 and 14, and I don't ever see 6.5 wide versions of those.
Any line-item exemption or allowance is going to be a very hard sell under current practices.

Like Josh, I'm sensitive to the fact that drivers' lives get complicated by class change. That whole business is complicated because when something like the MR2-to-B initiative gets proposed, there's always folks advocating for both choices - moving and not moving. If we get a request for a move and it makes sense based on our practices and processes, should we do it simply because it looks right on paper? Or should we lean heavily on input letters from drivers? From only those owning examples of the car getting moved...?

The same kind of conflict extends to other follow-on options like grandfathering in 7" wheels or allowing dual classification for cars that get moved. Do we then entertain any and all requests for moves, knowing that each will come with those same allowances? Do we grant the allowances more broadly when someone makes a pitch that, regardless of the circumstances that led to the situation, having 7" wheels is perceived as a competitive advantage?

PERSONALLY I feel very strongly that upsetting the category apple cart with special cases must be done VERY cautiously, for a lot of reasons - Number One being that the members tell us that consistency is a favorite aspect of IT.

K