View Poll Results: What are your thoughts in wheel widths in ITB and ITC?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave rule as-is.

46 37.10%
  • Allow OEM wheels (even if wider than 6")

13 10.48%
  • Allow stock-SIZED wheels (even if wider than 6")

11 8.87%
  • Move ITC and ITB to 7" width

45 36.29%
  • Open up IT to any wheel size (that fits within fender rules)

19 15.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Wheel width, ITB, again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are you saying that what is good for my car is not good for the class? I thought I was a member of the class..... It is a selfish reason to let me use 7" wide rims; I can't find aftermarket 6". I was ITA and did buy 7" just months before the change to ITB was even suggested. I did have to shelve the 7". Selfish, yes. Good for the class, yes. Would anybody else benifit from moving to 7" in ITB? Yes if they could not find 6" wide in the their bolt pattern. Is there a competitive advantage, probably assuming you found lighter wheels.

No one is compelled to purchase another set of wheels just because a rule changes other than those that are moved from, say ITA, to ITB. I was, now I can't find wheels other than stock 20lb wheels.

Maybe we should look at why some people don't want to keep in line with new market trends...Maybe they are the ones that already have a good source of available wheels and they are the selfish ones! Every question put out should be first answered at home.
    Rodger Ward
    #18.....till i die
    84 Dodge Shelby ITB
    cut the crap!

Any of the second gen neon wheels should fit the bill and weigh less than 20 lbs. What you really need to find is a set of trunk kit wheels for the neon they are 15 x 6 with a 400mm offset and weigh IIRC 15.6 lbs. Look over on neons.org. There were several sets for sale the past few months.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

roger, just want to make sure i am understanding a couple of things:

1)
    I was ITA and did buy 7" just months before the change to ITB was even suggested.
    sounds like your car went from ITA to ITB much like my 85 CRX Si. i too had 14x7's and then had to get some 6's. pretty painful from a $$ viewpoint. of course, since i have 13x6 panas and some 14x7 panas, maybe no one will notice if i swap.......

i would not have an issue with your wanting to run another size since it is similar to the issue of having to use factory parts and then there are no factory parts available. is there any possibility of running something other than 15" (both rules wise or from a physical clearance issue)?

2)
    It also seems that as cars are reclassifed, the complete car should be moved including the wheel size and the rules modified as needed by the reclasification.
    my version ITB car (85-87) crx si came with either 13x5 or 14x5 wheels. going to 6" rims is not much of a stretch. if i had a newer B car that came with 15x7 or 16 x 6.5, etc., i would be pretty bummed if i could not use the car's OEM wheels.

i think there needs to room for this. i do not relish the ITAC group for having to consider this but if there is considerations for HP, Torque, weight, suspension, etc., it would seem that a consideration for weight adjustment for wheel width is not that far fetched.

not wanting to start a NASA debate but does Performance Touring have such an adjustment?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Hypothetical (VERY) question: So which is the correct option?

1. Allow cars moving from ITA to ITB to run with 7" wheels at their B weight as established by the specification process, or...

2. Allow that subgroup of cars to run 7" wheels but with a weight penalty to account for the increased performance of the wider wheels, or...

3. Allow everyone to run 7" wheels with no weight penalty, or...

4. Allow everyone to run 7" wheels with more weight, or...

5. Throw up our arms and let everyone run anything that will fit under stock fenders

Did I forget any options?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

K
    6. Only allow 6" wide rims.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Whoops. Sorry, yeah - I should have prefaced that with, "If we were to change the rule..."

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

1. Allow cars moving from ITA to ITB to run with 7" wheels at their B weight as established by the specification process, or...

2. Allow that subgroup of cars to run 7" wheels but with a weight penalty to account for the increased performance of the wider wheels, or...

3. Allow everyone to run 7" wheels with no weight penalty, or...

4. Allow everyone to run 7" wheels with more weight, or...

5. Throw up our arms and let everyone run anything that will fit under stock fenders

K
    To be honest, I got tired of reading about halfway thru page 2. I personally would lean towards the shock rule mentality and go with option 5. As long as it is the same bolt pattern and fits under the stock fenders it's legal.

I'm honestly not sure if an ITB car would benefit from say 9" rims. Of course with DOT rubber!

Let's face it the fast guys would still be fast and the guys willing to spend money would still spend money and the cheap guys could run what ever rubber they could find. Remeber in IT there is no guarantee of competiveness
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!