View Poll Results: What are your thoughts in wheel widths in ITB and ITC?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave rule as-is.

46 37.10%
  • Allow OEM wheels (even if wider than 6")

13 10.48%
  • Allow stock-SIZED wheels (even if wider than 6")

11 8.87%
  • Move ITC and ITB to 7" width

45 36.29%
  • Open up IT to any wheel size (that fits within fender rules)

19 15.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel width, ITB, again

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Not legal.
    Ooo, good catch! Ironically, I think it was Andy that was adamant that the diameter-rule-change rule NOT allow competitors to DECREASE their wheel diameter from stock, only increase "up" to 15 inches...the originally-written rule as published required a subsequent re-write to clarify that point, as I recall ("Cars may not fit wheel diameters smaller than those listed on their spec line")...which means, the NB has one wheel size choice. I wonder, does this "bother anyone"...

I think that one gets dropped in the "ow, that one's gonna leave a mark" bucket...

(P.S., Sorry to come across as rude, but all in fun...really...honestly...)
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 06-09-2009 at 08:03 PM.

So maybe it's a case of back to the future and the real solution is to take the next (relatively painless, I think) step to allow minus diameter sizes in addition to plus sizes.

I don't want folks to think I (or the ITAC) are completely against finding a solution, because I don't believe that to be the case. We've just got to balance the needs of the category appropriately, against the needs of a few individuals.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    So maybe it's a case of back to the future and the real solution is to take the next (relatively painless, I think) step to allow minus diameter sizes in addition to plus sizes.

I don't want folks to think I (or the ITAC) are completely against finding a solution, because I don't believe that to be the case. We've just got to balance the needs of the category appropriately, against the needs of a few individuals.

K
    Ya, it was more of a 'what is an acceptable solution' suggestion/question than 'what we can do legally for this car'. But nice try Greg!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Bah, Humbug!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Not legal. Only cars with 13 and 14" wheels may alternatively use 15" wheels. Yes, letting everyone run 15" diameter would also solve the problem in that particular case.
    Yeah, that one really sucks for the ITA Z3 as it's only allowed to run 16x7 rims where every other car in ITA can run 15x7's. There for a few years Kosi didn't make their rims in the 16x7 size. I think this was one of many issues with the ITA Z3 that soured the deal for Rob, along with the under-performing motor.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

16x6 wheels are available for any car(weight not an issue) at a reasonable cost.

WWW.diamondracingwheels.com

17x6's could likely be made by forgeline, fikse etc. if not by other less expensive vendors. So it isn't impossible just expensive.

I think for now the steel 16x6 wheels cover it but I wouldn't be opposed to allowing decreasing wheel diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by frnkhous View Post
    16x6 wheels are available for any car(weight not an issue) at a reasonable cost.

17x6's could likely be made by forgeline, fikse etc. if not by other less expensive vendors. So it isn't impossible just expensive.

I think for now the steel 16x6 wheels cover it but I wouldn't be opposed to allowing decreasing wheel diameter.
    15X6 22lbs! that's heavier than the 18 stock wheels I have now!!!!!!

RLW - I have been lurking on the thread all the time. Sorry to let you carry the load, my bad. Just that I have not had a chance to build up a stock of 15x7's yet. My issue is that I am 63 years old, and humping 40+ lbs of wheel and tire takes a lot out of me.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

K
    That's a much more appetizing solution. Gearing is free, wheel weights are free, so allowing smaller diameter merely gives another avenue to get to those end points. That's all good in my 'hood!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by frnkhous View Post

Yes, steel wheels were the only option I was able to recommend to the Beetle builder. There is actually an oem style steel wheel in 5x100 that would work for that car.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

So bill, what is your take? I'm only 18 till i die (63), and I like my car. Have you been able to find any 15x6 other than stock? Did you get any 7" before the switch? I thought about machining the wheel to accept a lighter rim, but could not find anybody that would take on the project and can't do it myself with any confidence.

One other thing, are all atac members from east of the rockies? Someone asked where I race. Cal Club.

I was ok on weight untill the killer heat, want to add a cool suit but that weight has to be offset and the only place left is wheels.

I looked every where for wheels. No cars left, it seem the air nazies have offered a bounty on 80's dodge products, nothing in wrecking yards out here, all crushed.

To everyone else, including the beatle builders, wouldn't the fitment solution take care of the entire problem? I can't see where we could advocate/demand running on smaller wheels than came stock, has anyone looked at the max load for tires? And, if everyone is against a spec line allowance, although there may/will be costs involved isn't that still the best solution over the long run? We need to find a viable solution, even if it is not 7" in ITB.
    Rodger Ward
    #18.....till i die
    84 Dodge Shelby ITB
    cut the crap!

Seriously, I agree with Rodger and Greg. Open it up to what ever fits under the finder over the stock brakes, and around the suspension. I just don't see the reason to have the biggest rim under there. Of course I'm still running 16x7 stock rims that only weigh 18lbs each. The balance comes when you run more tire than the car has weight to handle or hp to spin up. Other than that pull the old "you pick your car warts and all" line.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by rlward View Post
    ....One other thing, are all atac members from east of the rockies? Someone asked where I race. Cal Club.....
    Rodger,

Josh is our West coast ITAC rep.... he's in SFR. Now that you mention it, it's a shame the region that invented IT doesn't have someone on the Ad Hoc.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    2. What if a newly classed ITB car came with 16x8's. Any penalty for the use of that size in terms of classification weight?
    Well, such an example would certainly be different from the ITB norm, which is one of the criteria for an adder.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    15X6 22lbs! that's heavier than the 18 stock wheels I have now!!!!!!
    Sweet!

Someone have a source for 16x6 wheels for the NB at $200 each and 9 pounds each? That's what you can get from Enkei in the 15x7.

How about 14x6 or 15x6 in 4x114.3 bolt pattern for $200 and 9 pounds each? (<--- I'm pretty seriously looking for that one).

Just askin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    How about 14x6 or 15x6 in 4x114.3 bolt pattern for $200 and 9 pounds each? (<--- I'm pretty seriously looking for that one).

Just askin'.
    Why not get a set of Kosei wheels, take them to a machine shop, and have them drill an alternate set of holes to your bolt circle? Not sure what offset you need, but just sayin'.

On the NB and "allowing" them to run 15" wheels, isn't that assuming they could? Some cars can't go down 1" in diameter because it won't clear calipers and such.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    Why not get a set of Kosei wheels, take them to a machine shop, and have them drill an alternate set of holes to your bolt circle? Not sure what offset you need, but just sayin'.
    I've been looking at different wheels toward that end. Unfortunately, a lot of the more-common (read: less expensive lighter) wheels don't have a flat back-face, they're cast with "indentations" (for lack of a better word) where the normal bolt circle doesn't exist (I'd guessing to reduce weight.) SO there's no meat there to recut. I wouldn't mind hearing from folks who have 14/15x6 4x100 wheels in the 10-12 pound range that have fully-cast backfaces...and anyone that's found a machine shop that can properly do this kind of rework at a reasonable price... - GA

I don't think there is a way but are you able to legally change your bolt pattern to 4x100 on the hub or some other method?

Have you looked at the Kosei wheels to verify that they can't be used? I'll take a peek tonight.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I don't think there is a way but are you able to legally change your bolt pattern to 4x100 on the hub or some other method?
    It's been argued here that it's illegal, but I believe that since spacers and wheel studs/bolts/lugbolts are free you can use them to change the bolt pattern. However, the car in question (Suzuki) can just barely fit 205 tires between the strut and fenders with stock wheel offset (your 225 tires are totally out of the question, poke, poke ), so there's no way you can safely do that with spacers.

Have you looked at the Kosei wheels to verify that they can't be used? I'll take a peek tonight.
    No. I've looked at Kazera and a couple other SM wheels as they came through the shop, but I've yet to look at Kosei T1 or T1S. - GA

4-114.3 wheels for the Celica are the same as early Z car wheels. Only "0" offset. I have researched 11 wheel manufacturers, and Panasport is the only one that I have found that will make that wheel for you at 15X6"...at roughly $230 each plus the drilling charge...and shipping...and tax...ad nasium:eek:

So gentlemen...we are about to pull the trigger on 8 of these monsters....please make a decision so we don't buy the wrong wheels. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!