Thread: beetle weight ?

Default beetle weight ?

Just curious on how a car can be required to race at more than stock curb weight? The 98-99 beetle has a race weight of 2760 lbs and published curb weight is 2712 lbs. After removing all the dead weight in the car and adding safety equipment i can forsee having to add a couple hundred lbs just to make weight. Any way to get the car bumped from ITC to ITB with a more appropriate weight rating?
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

There are a few cars that are that way.. take the ITB MR2 for example with a curb weight of 2350 and a classed weight of 2525 or 2550 (can't remember off the top of my head right now)
    Last edited by quadzjr; 05-22-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

not to mention the max power the beetle could make is less than the ITB Golf 8v 2.0 Just don't get the rhyme or reason. Might still build it just to see what happens in the class, but I won't be surprised if it's at best a mid pack car.
    Chris

I think if you do a search of this forum, you will find a very extensive discussion of why the new beetle ended up at that weight. But beyond that, I gotta ask... unless all this "dead weight" you're going to remove is at or below the footwells, why would adding a lot of weight to the passenger side floor be bad?
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I'm thinking the dead weight is interior stuff and sound deadening (sp?) Ever pick up a power seat? I'll have to do a search i guess and see what was discussed already.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rx7chris View Post
    Any way to get the car bumped from ITC to ITB with a more appropriate weight rating?
    Careful what you wish for. I don't like my car weighing 2595 lbs when stock weight was 2549 lbs either (I actually have 160 lbs of ballast). However, I'd like it less if it got pushed to ITS and got to weigh some 2100-2200 lbs, which could NEVER be accomplished in IT rules.

Even though I still complain about this (I agree with you, racing above stock weight seems absurd), it was the right move as the car is still very, very competitive. If you want to build a beetle, my suggestion is to just build it and trust the system, it be very competitive.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

Maybe i'll just build it as light as possible and see what i get. One reason we are thinking of build the NB is uniquness, but i'd still like it to compete.
    Chris

I'm thinking the dead weight is interior stuff and sound deadening (sp?) Ever pick up a power seat?
    Exactly my point... you're replacing an item (power seat) that has a cg well above the floorpan, with an item (ballast) that has a cg at the floorpan. Why is this a bad thing?
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Just curious on how a car can be required to race at more than stock curb weight? The 98-99 beetle has a race weight of 2760 lbs and published curb weight is 2712 lbs. After removing all the dead weight in the car and adding safety equipment i can forsee having to add a couple hundred lbs just to make weight. Any way to get the car bumped from ITC to ITB with a more appropriate weight rating?
    Short version: Race weight is determined based primarily on stock power. It was doubtful that the NB could get down to the weight required by the ITB ratio, so it ended up in C.

K

Thanks, we'll see how it goes. Any help on the wheel width question. OE wheels are 6.5 but class requires 6. Does the OE trump the class requirement?
    Chris

Thanks, we'll see how it goes. Any help on the wheel width question. OE wheels are 6.5 but class requires 6. Does the OE trump the class requirement?
    Nope.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Thanks? that really sucks, the more i get into this the more i remember how much some rules made no sense. Any idea on where to find 16x6's?
    Chris

Thanks? that really sucks, the more i get into this the more i remember how much some rules made no sense. Any idea on where to find 16x6's?
    I'd have to go back and re-read the wheel rules but I think you can run smaller than stock diameter in this instance. If so, running a 14 or 15x6 wheel may make it to where you can get away with not needing a final drive. That'd certainly save you some expense.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Short version: Race weight is determined based primarily on stock power. It was doubtful that the NB could get down to the weight required by the ITB ratio, so it ended up in C.

K
    I'll take doubtful, give the darn car a chance! If I could get within say 100-150 Lbs. of the B weight even, I'd call it good. I just don't really believe that the weight is going to hurt that car that much. And, I'm not convinced that it couldn't make it.

Anyway, Chris, I wrote a letter requesting that the New Beetle get moved to ITB at it's appropriate process weight and got denied. But that doesn't mean you can't write a letter!

If anyone ever builds an ITC New Beetle it won't be us writing the letters, it will be everyone else competing in ITC writing the letters.

Write a letter! Build the car, I'll help you any way I can if you want to build one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    I'd have to go back and re-read the wheel rules but I think you can run smaller than stock diameter in this instance.
    I don't think so... in fact, running a smaller wheel than listed on the spec line (in this case, 16") is specifically prohibited. We may have an unintended consequence here WRT to the New Beetle. Beyond having them custom made, I'm wondering if such a wheel (16x6) even exists. Hello, ITAC?
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

If it will win in C then lets do it, Make them admit they were wrong and move it to B. Still need to get in touch with whoever to see if 6.5's are ok to run. I'm not gonna waste my time with a 16x6, if the wheels are this hard to find I cant imagine tires would be any easier. Tire rack has no listing for 16x6. Guess I could Always run the 6.5 and get protested every race. j/k
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I don't think so... in fact, running a smaller wheel than listed on the spec line (in this case, 16") is specifically prohibited. We may have an unintended consequence here WRT to the New Beetle. Beyond having them custom made, I'm wondering if such a wheel (16x6) even exists. Hello, ITAC?
    I went back and re-read the rules. You're correct... the Beetle would need to run 16" diameter.

Looks like there is a Porsche fitment that works (with spacer/adapter): http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3983996

Also some SSR's: http://www.nyxracing.com/ssr-profess...0-p-58409.html

And finally some cheap steel wheels: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...100_19746.html

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear