Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June fastrack is up

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    In other news, did anyone else find themselves wondering why the reasoning...couldn't be applied to other safety equipment regulations (either existing or in-process)?
    My first, and admittedly cynical, thought was, "note the lack of required SFI rating..."

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I would really differ with that...
    So you don't think FWD cars have an advantage in the wet?
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    I suspect he's alluding to his awesome ITA win in the pouring rain at NHIS a few years ago. Impressive, to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I suspect he's alluding to his awesome ITA win in the pouring rain at NHIS a few years ago. Impressive, to say the least...
    David, no, I don't..not necessarily. And Greg, (thanks) and that's but one data point among many.

To me, the bottom line is the car setup and the other variable factors. I certainly do NOT go into a wet race fearing the FWD reaper.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

And you wouldn't an AWD? I know the difference between a FWD and RWD isn't as much as some think (damn Alpha taking my rain win away!! lol ) - it's much more about confidence. AWD is a HUGE confidence adder.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    And you wouldn't an AWD? I know the difference between a FWD and RWD isn't as much as some think (damn Alpha taking my rain win away!! lol ) - it's much more about confidence. AWD is a HUGE confidence adder.
    Got you so mad you can't even spell!
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

The old BMW 325xit in the garage may have another life yet.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

the Jag project is officially on hold!!

:026: Stephen

Before you decide the SVT is a good fit give them a few months... They already changed a bunch of ITR cars.
    Last edited by StephenB; 05-21-2009 at 08:47 PM.

So I got moved to ITS and missed the memo

WOW this is quite a novel (will re-read all of it later). As far as turbo's go, it IS inevitable. Plus the turbo crowd is running being catered by NASA. The turbo cars are getting quite cheap, plus lets just throw superchargers in there as well.

Both of these devices need to be validated off of real data, no guessing. And in most cases that data is available as the most common applications are well tuned with all, or at least most (Port matching and balancing are the only two that are done one extreme builds, CAT removal is quite common), of the Improved Touring mods.

One concern is that changes to the internals of a induction device are available and hard to measure. I believe a restrictor plate would solve this, but this will again need to be done with real data.

Back to Hockey....
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    http://www.scca.org/documents/Fastrack/09/06/09-fastrack-june.pdf

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    The CRB welcomes comments from the IT community about whether to allow AWD cars in the IT classes.
    Of course! SCCA can only keep their head in the sand for so long. Just no new classes please, and of course, it will probably take some fiddling as I doubt the current classing/weight methods would work as is.

i do think awd and forced induction is not far away. i know ive had some good track day runs with stock powered wrx wagon that had R compunds and coil overs we were pretty even down the straights he had me by a little and though the corners i had him a little with my ITA car. i could think of at least one class for above ITR, one that might include 95-99 bmw M3's or some NA 911's from mid 90s mustang cobras 93-02 yes that 3 different body stlye mustangs

I beat a Mitsu Evo (whatthehell) in the rain soaked VIR NASA enduro a couple years ago. What-evah.

I'll start the argument again that we should create ITX - above ITR, catering to AWD turbocars and whatever other gnarly stuff we want to put in there. Just to be different, make the ENTIRE CLASS breath through the same size hole. Or use a spec muffler to restrict flow on that end.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    ...we should create ITX - above ITR, catering to AWD turbocars and whatever other gnarly stuff we want to put in there....

isn't that exactly what ITE should be?

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Just to be different, make the ENTIRE CLASS breath through the same size hole. Or use a spec muffler to restrict flow on that end.
    K
    In the Touring classes where Turbos are allowed (T2, T3), that's almost what we do. A TIR (turbo inlet restrictor) of a given size is specified to balance their performance against the non-turbo cars. (A TIR is similar to an SIR, but it installed in the turbo intake.)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    isn't that exactly what ITE should be?

Out here in SFR, our very popular ITE class has wide-open rules. Basically, you start with a street car, and stay on DOT tires, and otherwise, ANYTHING GOES.

I think the proposal here would be to keep modifications within IT limits. I don't think most ITE rulesets have such a limitation. (Yes, it's a pet peeve of mind that ITE starts wtih "IT").
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Out here in SFR, our very popular ITE class has wide-open rules. Basically, you start with a street car, and stay on DOT tires, and otherwise, ANYTHING GOES.

I think the proposal here would be to keep modifications within IT limits. I don't think most ITE rulesets have such a limitation. (Yes, it's a pet peeve of mind that ITE starts wtih "IT").
    Have you ever seen Joe Hall's 300zx? That's like a tub-chassis GT car on DOT tires. The unibody's been swiss cheesed and reinforced with a full tube chassis. Flat bottom aero with a huge wing out back. I think he's pulling 500hp out of the 3.0 liter turbo. I believe he was profiled in Sport car a couple of years ago or so.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I'll start the argument again that we should create ITX - above ITR, catering to AWD turbocars and whatever other gnarly stuff we want to put in there. Just to be different, make the ENTIRE CLASS breath through the same size hole. Or use a spec muffler to restrict flow on that end.

K
    I think the acronym for the next faster IT class beyond ITR should be ITF, for ITFuckthisisgoingtobeexpensive.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I T $
    Last edited by lateapex911; 05-22-2009 at 01:40 AM.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

As Josh points out, ITE varies from region to region. I presume we're talking about a nationwide Regional class.

K

SOWDIV limits ITE to 3.5l NA and 2.5l forced induction. As of yet no AWD have shown up to run.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.