Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ITC Super Beetle

totally cool! please keep us updated with pics!
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    AAAAAHHHHHHHHH You bastids make me do it! Here is a preview of the finished car!!!!!!!
    'This Trans-Am Volks looks like a joke until it blows your doors off!'

And one more

Treuhaft Automotive Specialties Trans-Am '72 1302.

Picture of the #37 C Sedan was taken at the Turkey Bowl at Marlboro, Md, Nov. 1966!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Here are some pics of our Ex-trans am Beetle. this car actually beat the Treuhaft car in the '68 Mid-Ohio Trans am, finished 5th to Treuhafts 8th. We ran nationals from '76-'80. Car is still owned locally, but won't sell it. was never Road raced since it was sold.

Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

Here's a really old pic of our car
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II

Last edited by loopracing; 05-19-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: sorry for the hijack
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II

It's most definately appreciated, the colorful history of these cars is what made me want to build one!

I don't know how to paste pics, so I'll give you a link to Dan Gurney's #3 Beetle at the 1962 Nassau Speed week

http://www.sebeetles.com/images/nass..._empi_no_3.jpg

Steve

my first car of 8 yrs was also a 71 super.
    Really a decent handling car, and won some autocrosses with it back in the day.
    Aero isnt great, drums had good power but...are still drums.

I have got to think you will be way underpowered in ITC. And, with road racing, power if uber important.

that said,
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlqaUtQommI&feature=related[/ame]

Well, since I'm working on the front half at the moment. Anyone have any recomendations for fuel cells? I've hunted left right and center, but can't make up my mind.

Default well??

How's the car coming? Any updates?

thanks,

Steve

Slowly... Mostly just disecting and figuring at the moment. Replacing the front panel has become a challenge. The drivers side front suspension is completed and just working on knocking the passenger side undercoating down a bit. Attached the sway bar and passenger side control arm to make me feel like I did sooomething on it. Gonna be making a phone call to Proseatz and seeing if they can come up with some seats. Waiting on pay day to get the fuel cell ordered, need to get it down on all fours so I can tow it over and have some holes patched in the pan.

Looking at converting a used Uhaul into a toy hauler instead of buying a tow rig and trailer.

Will have to look and see if I have any new pics. But, mostly just getting youngun onto a bicycle and ready to begin school...
    That's gonna be an extra four hours a day to get movin.

The floor pans are just rusty because of moisture, no real holes.

And my favorite picture to date.

A bug lover in training and daddy's little wrencher.

Also looking into rims from Bildon Motorsports. I got ahold of one of my customers at work that is going over the cage requirements to see if he'll be able to build it for me.

Main goal for my weekend though is to get her back on all fours, pull it out and pull the rest of the windows so I can finish gutting the interior. Another friend from work is helping me out since I don't have a welder and is welding up the deck lid, hood, and fenders of trim holes that won't be used. Then I can start working on the rear end of the beast.

One thing I was wondering is one way to combat camber issues is to swap the swing arms and the shock mounts from one side on the other. I'm guessing you can't do that in IT though. I've been digging more into the cage and body restrictions and requirements and haven't begun the suspension wording yet.

Anywho that's about it.
    Last edited by Macbaine; 08-20-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Got Facebook? Coincidentally, I "re-met" the guy that raced that Beetle "back then" through Facebook, and he uploaded a photo (let me know if this link doens't work):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1623476189

Toss him a note, he might have useful info. - GA

ya it says can't be displayed right now. Facebook is great, I've found people I haven't talked to in almost ten years.

we ran the fuel cell in the stock location. Just remove the stock tank and get a 8 gallon rectangular cell (bigger if it will fit) trim the hole to fit and steel straps (welded tubes is better) to hold it in. That seems to be the safest location. The tire well is lower, but that well was designed for crushability in a crash. You'll have better fuel feed with the cell just about higher than the carbs too.
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II

Default ITC Super Beetle

I applaud your effort!! I would also like to build a Super Beetle for ITC, as I am very familiar with these cars. I’ve owned my Cal-look 1971 Super Beetle sedan for over 15 years. A few years ago, all I needed was a body to build one, as I had TONS of stock leftover parts including a fresh engine, used trans and brake system. Alas, I never thought about an ITC Super Beetle and sold off all my spares.

The cars can be made to handle very well with very little work (stiffer front springs, lowered, wider tires, addition of rear sway bar). However, you will run into some competitive challenges with the current SCCA rules for this vehicle (see SCCA website for rules):

1. Drum brakes. Heat dissipation will probably be a challenge. I would petition the SCCA to let you run Karmann Ghia front disc brakes, as they really help the braking performance of the vehicle and are from the same time period (1971-era performance).
    2. Engine power. The rules limit you to a 1585cc displacement, stock heads with minimum (1” depth) match-porting (no combustion chamber re-shaping), stock cam & flywheel and 7.5:1 compression.
    3. Curb weight. The current SCCA minimum allowable weight for this vehicle is 2000 lbs. A stock 1971 Super Beetle weights 1835lbs.

My approach would be:

Suspension: TopLine lowered front struts, 10% stiffer springs and strut tower brace, adjusted torsion bars in rear, Koni dampers all around. Topline larger front sway bar and Sway-A-Way rear sway bar. Airspeed engine brace for additional support on engine and rear shock towers.

Brakes: use the best German brake hardware you can find.

Wheels & Tires: Run a set of 1973 Volkswagen Sport Beetle 15 X 5.5 wheels with the largest tires that will fit (probably 195/65R15).

Engine: Weber 32/36DFEV progressive carb, new 041 cylinder heads (largest stock intake ports), Gene Berg 3.5 quart deep sump for oil cooling, Gene Berg Achiever pulley, 1 3/8” equal length header exhaust. Valve cover breather system. Electric fuel pump. 1975+ VW/Bosch alternator for reliable electrical power.

Trans: 3.88:1 ring & pinion single-side cover transaxle.

Interior: Proper welded in cage, race seat, seat belts, tach, oil pressure, oil temp, cylinder head temp gauge.

Run the car for a season, get it sorted, then approach SCCA about the brakes, engine compression & weight issues. Most of all, HAVE FUN! Best of luck! Post pictures of your progress!
    Last edited by Kaline; 10-10-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Corrections

So you know that lexan windows, fiberglass body panels, aftermarket camshafts and aftermarket flywheels are not legal in IT, right?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

And, the SCCA isn't going to let you change the brakes just becasue they are not that good........... We pick our cars, warts and all........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Default Correction

Thanks for the correction. I am new to the IT world, and did not realize that body panels could not be swapped, or that the cam & flywheel had to be stock. I'll re-read the specs before I post anything like that again. I removed those items from my post above as well.
    Last edited by Kaline; 10-10-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: More Info