Thread: ITC Super Beetle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ya it says can't be displayed right now. Facebook is great, I've found people I haven't talked to in almost ten years.

we ran the fuel cell in the stock location. Just remove the stock tank and get a 8 gallon rectangular cell (bigger if it will fit) trim the hole to fit and steel straps (welded tubes is better) to hold it in. That seems to be the safest location. The tire well is lower, but that well was designed for crushability in a crash. You'll have better fuel feed with the cell just about higher than the carbs too.
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

Default ITC Super Beetle

I applaud your effort!! I would also like to build a Super Beetle for ITC, as I am very familiar with these cars. I’ve owned my Cal-look 1971 Super Beetle sedan for over 15 years. A few years ago, all I needed was a body to build one, as I had TONS of stock leftover parts including a fresh engine, used trans and brake system. Alas, I never thought about an ITC Super Beetle and sold off all my spares.

The cars can be made to handle very well with very little work (stiffer front springs, lowered, wider tires, addition of rear sway bar). However, you will run into some competitive challenges with the current SCCA rules for this vehicle (see SCCA website for rules):

1. Drum brakes. Heat dissipation will probably be a challenge. I would petition the SCCA to let you run Karmann Ghia front disc brakes, as they really help the braking performance of the vehicle and are from the same time period (1971-era performance).
    2. Engine power. The rules limit you to a 1585cc displacement, stock heads with minimum (1” depth) match-porting (no combustion chamber re-shaping), stock cam & flywheel and 7.5:1 compression.
    3. Curb weight. The current SCCA minimum allowable weight for this vehicle is 2000 lbs. A stock 1971 Super Beetle weights 1835lbs.

My approach would be:

Suspension: TopLine lowered front struts, 10% stiffer springs and strut tower brace, adjusted torsion bars in rear, Koni dampers all around. Topline larger front sway bar and Sway-A-Way rear sway bar. Airspeed engine brace for additional support on engine and rear shock towers.

Brakes: use the best German brake hardware you can find.

Wheels & Tires: Run a set of 1973 Volkswagen Sport Beetle 15 X 5.5 wheels with the largest tires that will fit (probably 195/65R15).

Engine: Weber 32/36DFEV progressive carb, new 041 cylinder heads (largest stock intake ports), Gene Berg 3.5 quart deep sump for oil cooling, Gene Berg Achiever pulley, 1 3/8” equal length header exhaust. Valve cover breather system. Electric fuel pump. 1975+ VW/Bosch alternator for reliable electrical power.

Trans: 3.88:1 ring & pinion single-side cover transaxle.

Interior: Proper welded in cage, race seat, seat belts, tach, oil pressure, oil temp, cylinder head temp gauge.

Run the car for a season, get it sorted, then approach SCCA about the brakes, engine compression & weight issues. Most of all, HAVE FUN! Best of luck! Post pictures of your progress!
    Last edited by Kaline; 10-10-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Corrections

So you know that lexan windows, fiberglass body panels, aftermarket camshafts and aftermarket flywheels are not legal in IT, right?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

And, the SCCA isn't going to let you change the brakes just becasue they are not that good........... We pick our cars, warts and all........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Default Correction

Thanks for the correction. I am new to the IT world, and did not realize that body panels could not be swapped, or that the cam & flywheel had to be stock. I'll re-read the specs before I post anything like that again. I removed those items from my post above as well.
    Last edited by Kaline; 10-10-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: More Info

Thanks for the input

Getting ready to haul it to down the fabricators shop in the next coupla days. Works been slow, but it's still pretty much in cleanup mode. I found some rust in the rear quarter panel, no big woop, but now it seems someone put filler foam behind it.... oh... joy heh.

Will post up some more pics when I'm not so under the weather. Oh and I'm running Topline Extreme's already and my work actually can get some pretty decent prices on stock VW parts so I'm accumalating a new pile of stuff to pick up. Just starting from the front and working my way back.

Thanks again all