Well, I'm certainly not a great starter but for a perfect example of what NOT to do IMO check out the video of the start poted as a response to someone looking for a video of the VIR race last weekend.

In MY opinion the driver that came down the inside of all the cars in front of him ON THE FRIGGIN GRASS should get at, a minimum a drive through. The fact that he apprears to rear end another car that then sets in motion a huge mess that likely damaged other totally inocent competitors is UNACCEPTABLE.

This happened to me last year at CMP. An IT7 car blasted down the inside of the grid past all manner of ITS/ITR cars at the start. Now if you're familar with CMP, we were using the front start/Finish, this is not only a LOW probability outcome move it's GUARANTEED to cause exactly what it did.

This individuals stupid, adolescent behavior cost me thousands of dollars and the entire year out of racing in order to get my car fixed.

Real race car drivers understand that at the start you do not give up ANYTHING but very rarely is it an opportunity to make up for a poor qualifying performance. If you are faster than someone in front of you then let the situation chill just a bit and then make high probability moves under much more controlled circumstances.

This is just my opinion but in reading Pobsts' column I suspect this is his philosophy and a philosophy I would much rather follow than the yahoo that took me out.

Travers
ITS19