Thread: Forced air vs non forced air

Default Forced air vs non forced air

My helmet is a simpson speedway vudo, which has great ventilation. In an SRF, it actually gets quite windy inside. But as I am transitioning to a closed car, I am considering a forced air helmet. Am I wasting my money?
    Bruce Dalis
    Looking for an ITS car ... no more
    SRF Chasis 135 sold
    Nu Yawk

It depends. If you are just going to run a blower to it, probably , yes. I've never been able to tell any real difference between uncooled, forced air and just leaving the shield up. However, if you run in the serious heat of summer, you may want a cool suit and cool air. Then it is absolutely what you want to do. For me after a race, it means the difference between lying down in the shade, wrapped in wet towels and walking around like nothing happened. Of course, I'm in SEDiv, so YMMV in Nu Yawk. (I'm also not the sveltest driver either.) Just remember, you get very little circulation in a closed car, particularly compared to an SRF.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

I used a forced air with just a blower mainly because I am susceptible to fumes, however while I do not feel much air flow I know in a minute or two if I have not switched on the blower.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Concerning a cool suit, does the undershirt go under the nomex underwaer? Or is it better to get carbovx cool suit. What is the Cool suit of choice?
    Last edited by LIRacer; 05-16-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Bruce Dalis
    Looking for an ITS car ... no more
    SRF Chasis 135 sold
    Nu Yawk

You definitely want to put the cool shirt directly on your skin. Using the carbonX shirt would be no more effective than a tee shirt version and nomex, but it would reduce the bulk.

As far as systems, I think any of the commercial systems work fine. I use a Cool Suit shirt and a homemade chest /pump/blower system (I'm cheap/thrifty). But it's not quite as neat as a professionally made setup.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?