Thread: proper starting etiquette

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

While I try to usually stay in line, I'll anticipate the green, and want to be on the gas before its waved, so I get a full head of steam.

In the last few races, I've been gridded right behind very fast straight line cars, so it was really easy for me. They were half throttle (ITS and ITR cars) and I was flat, and by the time they nailed the gas, I continued to be flat and they just pulled away
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    While I try to usually stay in line, I'll anticipate the green, and want to be on the gas before its waved, so I get a full head of steam.

In the last few races, I've been gridded right behind very fast straight line cars, so it was really easy for me. They were half throttle (ITS and ITR cars) and I was flat, and by the time they nailed the gas, I continued to be flat and they just pulled away

haha same thing with me. ITS cars ahead of me taking their time at the start and im 100% throttle to keep up with them when the pace car peels off
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

I agree that lagging back and trying to accelerate and time the green is bad form (it's my definition of jumping the start). And with the accordion effect, the chances of hitting it right are more like 20%. You've got a better chance of being off the throttle or even on the brakes. And even if you time it right, it will rarely help that much. You're likely to: a) get blocked anyway by cars fanning out in front of you before you get very far or b) cause what we saw on the VIR video.

The best thing to do is make sure you can see the flag (even well back in the field it can be done at most tracks). Then go like crazy the instant the flag goes. Remember that if you react even a half second faster than the guy ahead you gain around 50 feet by the time you get to Turn 1 (assuming 50mph start and 115 into Turn 1). That will pass the row ahead of you, and that's a good start.

I don't think Paul jumped the start in his video and look where it got him. BTW that was me in the green RX7, and it was exciting with him on my inside and another on the outside into a blind turn, but it worked.

One other suggestion. While the general rule is to hug the inside going into Turn 1, sometimes you find almost everyone is trying to do the same thing. I've occasionally passed 4 or 5 cars around the outside while everyone else was jockeying for the "good" position. So if you're in the outside lane anyway, keep your eyes open.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?