Evanwebb

To me, laying back and getting a huge run should be discouraged. But that’s hard to recognize until after the fact. And where does one draw the line between excessive or not? Were the three in front of him sleeping?

I normally start mid pack or worse, where it’s hard to see the flag. I key off of engine sounds and side to side movement if I can’t see the flag. Which means I’m already 1/3 second behind (reaction time).

I do try to have slightly more speed (1-2 mph) than the cars a couple of rows in front of me. But not so much where I’ll have to hit the brakes (brakes are bad for those behind me). If I see brake lights several rows up, I just ease up under the assumption they won’t be on the brakes long. I just hope the guy in front of me doesn’t do a big brake check from street driving habits!

After the green I put two wheels off, I stop trying to gain positions. Accept I’ve had a good start up to then, and try not to wreck anyone getting back on the pavement. (Two wheels off = high risk of spinning). If I have to put two wheels off to pass, I don’t. Too risky.

I feel if starters allow poor column alignment, it encourages disparity in speeds. If I’m in the twelfth row but I can see the starter clearly, I’m going to be concentrating on him (and trying to be faster than all those others in my peripheral vision!)

Steve
ITB MR2