Thread: Remote oil filter and cooler?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Remote oil filter and cooler?

Pretty sure the answer is yes to the filter but not the cooler but I figured I'd check with the rules experts. Are they legal yes or no?
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Absolutely yes for the cooler.
    Definitely yes for the filter.
    ITCS D.3.b
    ITCS D.1.h
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Thanks for your response. Now for the 64,000 dollar question..... Is it needed on the mazda BP engine? I know there are alot of Miata drivers out there. Are you guys running oil coolers?
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

I run a remote oil cooler and filter on my '96 Miata. I installed it years ago when the car was a street car and I did track days. At one event I cooked the fossil oil (smoke was coming from the motor), so I moved to good synthetic oil along with installing the cooler. Since then I've never, ever, ever had a problem.

It's probably not needed, though, as the Spec Miatas don't have oil coolers and I've never heard of them complaining about it. I think my problem was running Pennzoil fossil crap on the track during a really hot day.
    EP 1990 Mazda RX-7 (used to be STU until the turbo cars scared me away, and STL rotary cars require too much ballast)
    ITS/T4 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V

It's probably not needed, though, as the Spec Miatas don't have oil coolers and I've never heard of them complaining about it
    Ignorance is bliss. We put a sending unit in the pan on our '95 when it was running ITS. Holy crap! Never saw less than 245-250. So we put in a modest size cooler and ducting, now it runs in the 240 range. Still sort of high, but not as bad.

My theory is that those cars are marginal for cooling, there is nothing extra in the system. Any disruption in the ducting, radiator degredation, having an air bubble etc will lead to problems. The oil cooler can't hurt.

Yes to both. Use a cooler.

I used to see temps in the Z of 260F in the first few laps of a race and as high as 285F at the end of the race. Put in a real oil cooler (MoCal) and oil thermostat, now I see temps around 190-200F no matter what, perfect in my opinion.

FWIW I always use cheap dino lube, Castrol is my favorite but I'll take whatever is slippery and on sale. And I don't change it much either.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 05-14-2009 at 08:58 PM.