Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heart of Dixie Double SARRC and ENDURO!

Online registration is closed but I wil bet that if you call Betsy she will arrange for you to enter. Light on ITS with only 4 of us but 8 in ITA , 7 in ITC, and 4 in ITB. Should be a fun weekend. Not too late to join us.....
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Thanks to all of the workers for putting up with 100 degree+ heat so we could play for 2 days. All in all a good event. Got to watch Parrish and Shedd battle for ITS lead while I tried to keep up. I had a rather interesting off on Saturday when I ran out of tire, brakes and ideas after a 20 minute black flag wait in the pits. I will try to put some video up later this week. Slipped from 6th overall (3rd in class) to 27th and managed to get back to 15th overall and get 3rd back as well.

Thanks to all of the competitors for coming out. Some great battles in ITC and ITS. Loved seeing the ITB MR2 car running as well as it was. Got to watch the DSR race Sunday and man it was close for 12 or so laps until the Amac's brakes/tires went away.

Fun weekend. Thanks!!

Paul
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Glad to hear it went well....3rd is good, those are two fast Z cars in front of you.

Same stuff happens to me if I have to sit and let the brakes heat soak. Black flag and/or pitstops in the Carolina Cup are brutal on my car as a result.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I'd like to second Paul's attaboy to all the workers. The weather was tough, but the workers and officials did a great job as usual. Wish I'd had a few IT7 guys to run with, but at least I beat all the ITAs (except one on Saturday), so I'm happy. Still the most laid-back SARRC weekend of the year, so I recommend it to all of you who haven't made the trip yet.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

Default Heat of Dixie

Kudos to the TVR and CHA regions and ATL workers for a great event! I think the staff was the friendliest I've encountered in SCCA. The track was lots of fun and I was still trying to learn it when they dropped the checker on the track Sunday (literally). It was a long tow but well worth it. I'll gladly do this event again!

Most everybody came back with cars intact with one notable exception. Ron Munnerlyn's motor gave out at the entry to turn 1. That was a huge "oh sh*t" moment when we all hit the newly liberated fluids basking in the 110 mph braking zone. I'm just glad no one spun into Ron.
    Last edited by Parrish57; 07-02-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Credit where credit is due
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Default Broken bones or burns

Nashville was great until I found myself sitting in my disable car watching cars slid sideways as they entered turn one wondering if I would die from an impact or from the 5 quarts of Mobil 1 when it ignited.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfXa9UTC184[/ame]

Default Thanks Chattanooga and Tennessee Valley Regions!

This is an excerpt from my latest BK Racing Update, but it's pertinent to this event:

= = = = = =

I’d also like to thank the Chattanooga and Tennessee Valley Regions for taking a chance and continuing to host this race weekend. They realize NSS is not a historic track like Road Atlanta, VIR, Sebring, or Daytona, so they know they need to go the extra mile in making things as stress-free and friendly as they possibly can for the competitors. I personally enjoy the track (running 155 mph on the front straight gets your attention QUICKLY!), but it’s also a real pleasure working with those folks as they build their competition program. Southern hospitality may not have been invented in Nashville, but those folks sure do practice it! Thanks for letting us come out and play, and I’ll be there next year for sure.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Kudos to the TVR and ATL regions for a great event! I think the staff was the friendliest I've encountered in SCCA. The track was lots of fun and I was still trying to learn it when they dropped the checker on the track Sunday (literally). .................
    You mean like this? he, he, he. Look in the lower left corner of the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Short video after the black flag restart. This is what happens when you have cold tires, cold brakes, and cold brains while the rest of your body is on fire from the heat of the day and race car.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWtcyZcllg0[/ame]
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Paul, it looks like the banking saved you from hitting the wall, just like it has every other car who has lost it in the fast first turn. The track manager says nothing but a Viper can climb that banking and hit the wall. They have done it 2 or 3 times, and nothing else has ever gone all the way up there.
    Once again we got through the whole weekend without a car hitting anything like a wall (just other cars). Nowhere do we see as few damaged cars as we do at Nashville.
    Bill