Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for in-car VIR group 6 incident

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is why IMO we need to reinforce to the starters that it is OK, actually preferred, and IMO safer to wave a bad group off.

Even if there is a split start.

Even if it is a 4 mile track.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Looks like some folks might want to re-read GCR 6.8.3. As an SIT, if I had seen this from the tower (which is admittedly difficult because of the pit wall hindering line of sight in this case), I would have certainly reported it to the Chief Steward. It would then be his/her call to issue a CSA (Chief Steward's Action).

Essentially it says if you leave the pavement during competition and gain an advantage, said advantage can be rescinded by the Chief Steward. This applies at the start as well.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    I cannot say that I disagree but Starters are aware that the sooner they give the green the faster the speeds are in the first turn when it gets tight and cars start bouncing off each other.

Which is a red herring. The problem isn't how fast cars are going at Turn 1. It's the number of cars trying to go through at once. It's the accordian effect that is the problem.

Maintain the pace car speed. "Once the pace car pulls off for the start, the pole car shall maintain the speed of the pace car just prior to the pace car pulling off." (GCR - Sporting Regulations).

- That doesn't happen and certainly didn't happen in many of the starts at VIR.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    ...Maintain the pace car speed. "Once the pace car pulls off for the start, the pole car shall maintain the speed of the pace car just prior to the pace car pulling off." (GCR - Sporting Regulations).

- That doesn't happen and certainly didn't happen in many of the starts at VIR.
    Also a fair point. At that juncture however, the bitch should be with the pole-sitter. And potentially with the pace car driver if he/she sets a speed that's not appropriate. AND THAT is a separate issue from the speed of the pace car on the out lap...

Lots of responsibility in lots of little pieces, the sum of which can be a big PITA.

K