Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
>> I might be in the minority on this but I'd suggest that starters do NOT do us any favors by waiting to see if things are formed up and tight before throwing the flag - particularly with a big field. It's a bit of a generalization but, the later the green, the more opportunity the snake has to get coiled up and ready to strike.

It's a subtle distinction but I'd propose that their real responsibility is to get the race underway safely, rather than forcing the field to look pretty. And starters who get preoccupied with the "Hah hah!" games, worrying more about surprising us with the flag than about getting us underway, are frankly not paying attention to the most important aspect of their job.

I'd way prefer an early, messy start to a late start with the front rows tightly bunched up.

K
You can throw a late green if everybody can see the stand - say at a Roval where the stand is miles above the pavement. At most places we run, the guys in the back will never see the flag and are either guessing or keying on the cars at front. A late start will be fine, if the nuts holding the wheels aren't playing games, but that's not the case usually.

You'll get someone in row 4 leave a gap and get on the throttle early in an attempt to get a jump, everyone behind gets on the throttle, even if only to maintain their spacing on him. Gapper needs to roll off the throttle, and everybody behind accordians...

I think part of the problem for this particular race was that few, if any, of the groups maintained pace car speed when it dove for the track. Probably a consequence of everyone knowing that there was no way there would be a waveoff. It takes so long to do another pace lap that I imagine you could have cars barrel-rolling prior to the green and still get a green.