Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post

Which is a red herring. The problem isn't how fast cars are going at Turn 1. It's the number of cars trying to go through at once. It's the accordian effect that is the problem.

Maintain the pace car speed. "Once the pace car pulls off for the start, the pole car shall maintain the speed of the pace car just prior to the pace car pulling off." (GCR - Sporting Regulations).

- That doesn't happen and certainly didn't happen in many of the starts at VIR.
Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
Also a fair point. At that juncture however, the bitch should be with the pole-sitter. And potentially with the pace car driver if he/she sets a speed that's not appropriate. AND THAT is a separate issue from the speed of the pace car on the out lap...

Lots of responsibility in lots of little pieces, the sum of which can be a big PITA.

K
While I can't speak for the other groups this past weekend, being the pole sitter for group 6 on both days, I can say that things went absolutley like they should have up front. The pace car maintained a slow and consistent speed all around the course, and once it went in I maintained that speed within 5mph until the green flew. The cars that I could see behind me were formed up nice as well.