Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for in-car VIR group 6 incident

Quote Originally Posted by tac911t View Post
    What gray car? The yellow Rx7 moved over just a little to the right toward the blue Rx7, the blue Rx7 was still on the track, and they both probably would not have touched each other. Brake lights did not appear on the VW until after the blue Rx7 was hit, not to mention that there was a 2 or 3 car hole behind the blue Rx7 that VW could have slipped into. At the point the blue Rx7 was hit, the guardrail and the track were moving closer together, and the VW ran out of room. It seems that if the guardrail and track did not close in at that point, the blue Rx7 would have been passed in the grass on the right.

I was a few rows behind Hoop, and all I saw was a dirt cloud to the right, and cars spinning of to the left.
    Sorry, the dark blue looks like a steel grey on my screen.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Even if it the day is behind schedule...?
    Isn't that why races have a number of laps and max time to keep it from getting behind schedule. The pulling of cars after a session slows the day down more than a wave-off.

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    This is why IMO we need to reinforce to the starters that it is OK, actually preferred, and IMO safer to wave a bad group off.

Even if there is a split start.

Even if it is a 4 mile track.
    FWIW they did wave off at least one start this weekend. One of the open wheel groups was waved off.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    FWIW they did wave off at least one start this weekend. One of the open wheel groups was waved off.
    True, but only because they needed to send an EV to retrieve a sports racer that parked on track during the pace lap.

[QUOTE=Z3_GoCar;287671]IMHO, it's not the start that was the problem.... As I saw it in the video here are some of the mistakes leading to the whole incident:

1 ) Tristian did have a very small overlap, maybe a couple of inches maybe less than that, with the gray car.

2 ) The yellow Rx7 swerved.

3 ) The gray car overreacted and swerved into the VW which had been there... causing the pitt manuver type spin into the fence.
    QUOTE]

The yellow RX-7 did not "swerve". After the green, I moved over on blue #58 as we headed to turn 1 and we both had plentey of room. We know each other well and have raced hard that way for the better part of a decade. Blue 58 was hit hard from behind by an out of control car. Plain and simple... I've kept my mouth shut on this thread since Tristan was good enough to take ownership for the problem on Sunday and post the video. Shows he has learned from what happened, and that's really all that matters. But don't you try to be an armchair QB and spread the blame on an incident you were not involved in and clearly don't understand. -Al Gervais