Thread: Looking for in-car VIR group 6 incident

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The beginning grass part I may have done but it needed to get settled down way before you did. Ballsey move; glad no one got hurt and sounds like you learned from it. Gesh, especially with such a nice new car. More importantly other peoples' cars.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    The beginning grass part I may have done but it needed to get settled down way before you did. Ballsey move; glad no one got hurt and sounds like you learned from it. Gesh, especially with such a nice new car. More importantly other peoples' cars.
    Holly $#!++

Dave- Your right, the grass was ok in some minds, but after that you should have settled down long before it becomes a video game... your playing with a lot more than just your car and your life. I hope you learned your lesson and the video maybe taught others a lesson also.

Two questions:

1) How did you get such a jump? you had to jump the start right?

2) What penalties did the stewards give you after the protests came pourig in?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I just assumed the jump was the result of the pack expanding and contracting (like an acordian) as it formed up, and he ended up wide open trying to keep/catch up when the green flew. Not that uncommon to happen in a large field. Though I wish starters would take a harder line on this and insist on proper formations in more than the first few rows with our multi class groups.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

The timing of the jump...I assure you... was plain dumb luck. I did it successfully on the outside the day before. I noticed that in most of the races that I watched they would throw the green when the field was 1/2 way down the wall so I just backed off and hammered it in 3rd after hog pen. Right as I got up on the cars in front of me the green went and I was already into 4th. Got the timing right at the start but I see how dangerous it was now compared to having patience and using race craft. Glad that everyone is okay and I did learn my lesson...
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

It didn't work out very well at all in this case but it's NOT safe to assume that Tristan "jumped the start."

I'll confess to being sensitive to this issue after the snarky comments and back-channel steward-lobbying I got to deal with at the IT festival. However, Vaughn's video compilation shows me going by at the green, gaining on the front rows but having clearly NOT passed anyone prior to the wave of the flag. My point (Raymond) is that more velocity going into T1 isn't evidence of a jump, as the GCR defines it. Sort of like an increasing distance between cars coming out of a corner is NOT evidence that the guy ahead has more power. It's physics, about the distinctions among distance, velocity, and acceleration, with respect to time.

Now, you can ignore everything I've said because my run went completely sucktastical before T1, too. But for consideration...

K

I made my comments over on RRAX when I first saw this, but the "jump or not a jump" doesn't concern me in the slightest.

I've read Tristians comments, and I think they are a step in the right direction. I would hope that he found every car damaged in that fiasco and apologized profusely. That was a serious case of greed and bad judgment, and no consideration for others at the time. I hope it was a few seconds brain fart.

One comment I read though, and perhaps I'm assuming incorrectly, but the bit about surging up and back and timing the green bothers me. If you are the last car in line, fine. Otherwise, (I'm assuming this wasn't a last car in line situation) thats rather selfish behavior, and screws up all the rows behind you. Que up, hold the position and the pattern, and go on the green. Really, you have to be fair to others.

Yea, if there wasn't a good beating in the stewards office, or any protests, I'd consider myself veeery lucky.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I think you guys can lay off him now. He has already said it was a bad move and wouldn't happen again. We've all done moves like this and most of the time get away with it.

I think we bashed him enough, let's move on......

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    One comment I read though, and perhaps I'm assuming incorrectly, but the bit about surging up and back and timing the green bothers me. If you are the last car in line, fine. Otherwise, (I'm assuming this wasn't a last car in line situation) thats rather selfish behavior, and screws up all the rows behind you. Que up, hold the position and the pattern, and go on the green. Really, you have to be fair to others.
    Jake, I realize you've always been lucky enough to never have started at the back of the pack, :cool: but you get that rubber band effect. The further back, the harder it is for everyone to keep a steady pace. You've got guys down shifting, guys realizing they're too close to the car in front, or starting to lag. This starts from the second row back, but gets magnified the further back you go. It's not done on purpose.

On edit: "You have to be fair to the others"???? Really?? I don't know about you but I will do everything I can to get an advantage as long as I don't think I'll get black flagged. If you have Crazy Joe behind you, and you know he's got a power advantage, you bet your ass I will do what I can to keep him back there........ (it never works, but I keep trying anyways!!)
    Last edited by JLawton; 05-12-2009 at 07:02 AM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Hoop,

Just found another vid on utube - looks like you were in the middle of that one. You got lucky, eh?

Rex
    Rex T. Deffenbaugh, owner Happy Jap's Auto Repair, Cary NC, ITS and IT7 driver, driver liasion to NCR SCCA Comp. Board contact happyjaps.com

Hole shot gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by happyjap View Post
    Hoop,

Just found another vid on utube - looks like you were in the middle of that one. You got lucky, eh?

Rex
    link?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]