Thread: Seat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's the thinking about the strength of aluminum vs. fiberglass? I hear (from vendors) that Aluminum is unsafe, but then I think about it and Aluminum will give (ie bend) where fiberglass will crack. Also all of the stock car guys including, I believe NASCAR, use aluminum. I think the vendors like to up-sell to the fiberglass option.

FWIW I've used a Kirkey for years and really trust it but want to upgrade to a seat with head support.
    timo

I have nothing against aluminum seats, my 1st race car had a Kirkey but it was not confortable, I switched to Fibergalss even before I started selling them, my friend David Boles in Melbourne FL always used aluminum seates until he tried one of my fiberglass and now he only uses a fiberglass seat.
    If you don't want to spend the money look at the Sparco Sprint 5 or MOMO Tframe ( MOMO is out of seats until 2010), it is a tubular seat FIA approved and very confortable, I had the Sprint 5 last year in my ITC car and loved it, great for endurance racing.
    As for safety, I think I would rather have an approved FIA seat over a non approved one.
    Louis Boustani

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    What's the thinking about the strength of aluminum vs. fiberglass? I hear (from vendors) that Aluminum is unsafe, but then I think about it and Aluminum will give (ie bend) where fiberglass will crack. Also all of the stock car guys including, I believe NASCAR, use aluminum. I think the vendors like to up-sell to the fiberglass option.

FWIW I've used a Kirkey for years and really trust it but want to upgrade to a seat with head support.
    Actually composite seats are making a break through in NASCAR:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...vid&id=3161760

FIA composite seats are tested to standard, albeit not the best one ever. Not sure if the aluminum seat manufacturer's test their seat designs. I would think they would, but I haven't seen it advertised anywhere.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242