Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Correction to 5/09 Fastrack

Still around, but that ruleset is ENTIRELY different, and much more open.

We've heard the "we don't need ponies in ITR because of AS" argument and, without trying to sound argumentative, I think that makes as much sense as saying we don't need IT because many of the same cars are classed in prod. There is that much difference in the rulesets.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    We've heard the "we don't need ponies in ITR because of AS" argument and, without trying to sound argumentative, I think that makes as much sense as saying we don't need IT because many of the same cars are classed in prod. There is that much difference in the rulesets.
    Exactly. I'll I'll bet inside of four years there will be more Pony cars running in ITR than in AS, at least in the SE.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Here's a dumb question... I've been out for a number of years... What happened to the A sedan class? Still around? if so, classing v8s in IT doesn't make sense
    It is around. Why would these cars in IT not make sense? Different prep levels. MANY cars are classed in IT and Prod, GT, etc.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Exactly. I'll I'll bet inside of four years there will be more Pony cars running in ITR than in AS, at least in the SE.

R
    Maybe, but I bet the v6 cars end up being more abundant and attractive candidates.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    Maybe, but I bet the v6 cars end up being more abundant and attractive candidates.
    Be that as ir may, as long as people are running them it's all good. The way i see it, it really doesn't hurt to have any car classed as long as its empirical properties fit the structure of the category and the class.

I submit as an example of such thinking: The Triumph TR8. I think we all agree we're glad that car got classed, even though it's rather atypical.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

My wallet disagrees with that statement.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

You're wallet is teaching others...keep up the good work!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Be that as ir may, as long as people are running them it's all good. The way i see it, it really doesn't hurt to have any car classed as long as its empirical properties fit the structure of the category and the class.

I submit as an example of such thinking: The Triumph TR8. I think we all agree we're glad that car got classed, even though it's rather atypical.
    Dear God!!!!! WHO would be foolish enough to race one of those!!?????????
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

When V8 cars in ITR was originally proposed the subject came up at our region's race group meeting. The AS drivers were really against the idea. They saw this as cutting into their numbers....and numbers are very important to National Class drivers. They really couldn't see the value in a second pony car class.

I see it differently. What has been created is an AS farm system that will benefit AS and ITR car builders equally. AS will benefit because some ITR drivers may eventually want to go faster and they can in AS.

For example, an ITR driver with an eye on eventually running in AS can get started on track for a lower cost. While they learn race craft in IT they can also be make strategic build decisions like choosing 16x8 wheels instead of 17X8.5 wheels. Plus alot of the IT allowed parts translate to AS such as headers, oil pans, accu-sumps, fuel cells, suspension bushings, shocks, springs, etc. So there is no real loss of investment.

ITR car owners will benefit because the market for their cars is bigger than just the IT crowd when they want to sell.

Despite my misgivings regarding the weights that were determined I think there are allot of positives here for IT and the club as a whole. Good job to all involved.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

did you know that the 89-92 5.0 had forged pistons wear the 93 had hypertenic. i have a 88 5.0 which is not classed mine has an older FI system that does not use a maf. mine has 244whp and 291 wtq and everything ive done is all IT legal. ive stoped tracking it because of cost i would replace the brakes durring lunch every time. have blown up 3 oil pumps becauce i used the trans to help slow the car down. only way to keep the brakes for 20mins on track. on street tires i was only about 1 second off the lead of ITS here in portland (PIR). there are next to none ITR cars here so i could make it and race it but any advantage i would have down the straights would be gone when i have to brake 500-700 feet sooner then my compeditors. i was just going to put cobra brakes on it then it would brake about the same as my bmw 328 hey isnt that an ITR car too. the 328 brakes about the 400ft mark where my mustang brakes at start finish with is about 1400 ft from the cornner

Sounds like we probably got the balance pretty close, with the various strengths and weaknesses you describe. Thanks!

K