Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $515 for a 2 day regional at LRP

I think we all can agree that any increase in fees hurts in these tough economic times. Unfortuately, vendors have cost increases, as well. The $5mil expense at LRP last year to repave and make the track smooth didn't come without a price tag for those of us who chose to race there.

As was just previously mentioned, I'd rather pay a little more to race at a great track...which is also pretty darn safe compared to NHMS.

John, I know that $65 buys things, but in the course of a racing season, it's chump change. And I'd spend that money and more towing to ANY other track. So, for local people, it's just the way it is. (hey, I don't like it, but...I can't be too upset over it. That happened years ago when the rates went for $22K to $53K!)

In theory, NER has done the single biggest thing to lower prices. They've created competition by creating a new track. Once Palmer comes online, we'll have more choices.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 04-29-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    which is also pretty darn safe compared to NHMS.
    LRP is an epic track but you will get an argument from me on that point.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The price for the test day is a bargain for the track time.

Most LRP test days start ar 12:30 to 6pm. 3 groups (open, big bore, small bore). Everyone gets 5 sessions at 20 min. Cost is 275. 250 if you call ahead 206.25 if you buy 3 get 1 free 'deal'.

Most of time it works fine although it can get crowded around certain events. And the August test usually has the Camping World cars there with their own session.

This month's test at LRP was not well attended mainly due to the weather. Rain was in the forcast so most people I knew stayed away.

If NNJR region is flexible I would suggest 3 groups as long as the car count is realistic.

BTW, WGI promotor test days are 250 and you will usually only get 3-20 min sessions.

In closing I think NNJR is trying something different and it works for me.
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    John, I know that $65 buys things, but in the course of a racing season, it's chump change. And I'd spend that money and more towing to ANY other track. So, for local people, it's just the way it is. (hey, I don't like it, but...I can't be too upset over it. That happened years ago when the rates went for $22K to $53K!)

In theory, NER has done the single biggest thing to lower prices. They've created competition by creating a new track. Once Palmer comes online, we'll have more choices.
    $515 to $235 is more than just 65 bucks. 2 days at lime rock for $235 would probably be interesting!

I still agree with Andy that I choose to race in PRO-IT rather than NARRC strictly because of the # of races in the season. (PRO-IT guys/gals please do not increase the events to more than 1 per month!) I cannot afford to run a Series that is 17 races long.

I think that Dave's Idea is great with the PDX Direction. Maybe even get the PDX people to corner work or jsut show up and let them do FREE ride arounds in street cars with racers that are racing in the event during lunches and such. I am sure some racers would do it and the PDX people would get some education on lines, and a feel for how the "feel" and "atmosphere" of SCCA by attending one of our events.

John, so it costs $290 to race...so what? If it cost a more reasonable $225, would that make it now workable? $65 less? That's a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things.
    I understand what you're trying to say, but on the flip side couldn't I make the argument what's the big deal of a $355 entry fee? Hey, it's only $65 more than the $290 you mentioned isn't so bad. What about another $65 on top of that? There's a price point where racers need to say the cost outweighs the benefit.

"in the course of a race season it's chump change."

It all depends upon what one's "race season" is. For me, I'm hopeful for 5 events - six if I'm super lucky. $65 per event does impact the outcome. I'd be more than happy to be a chump and take your change. And then sometimes traveling isn't such a bad thing and nice way to sell it to the family. Labor Day Summit Point = DC trip for wife, kid, and friend(s).
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing