Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $515 for a 2 day regional at LRP

Default $515 for a 2 day regional at LRP

Has anyone else looked at the May 29th and 30th LRP "I got your stimulus right here" race yet? It appears to me that it is $225 for Friday and $290 for Saturday! What ever happened to the 2 day single race regionals at LRP? Is this a Stimulus check for LRP, are they that bad off!!

I hope I am reading it wrong??

Stephen

"out of my brain on the train.. on the train....out of my brain on the fiiiiiive fifteeeeeeen!"

Whats a LRP test day this season? I think it's $250 or more. And runs typically 1 -5PM?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Historically regions have run both one day and two day regional at Lime Rock and the cars count have often been higher at the single day events than the two days even though the entry fee was often the same. I have spent a lot of time asking drivers about which events they prefer because this never made sense to me, I prefer the extra track time of a two day event. What I found was a large group of drivers preferred the one day. They did not feel there was enough track time on Friday to justify the day off of work and the expense of staying over for the night.
    I think NNJR has come up with a brilliant idea. The $290 one day is about as good a deal as you can get at Lime Rock in this day and age and the Friday test day with 4 run groups will give a lot more track time that the Friday of a two day regional would ever give and is a better deal than the typical Tuesday test day.
    If you figure about half the drivers will run the test day the entry income to the region to pay the $53000 rent and other expenses will be about the same as running a two day regional at $400 bit this way you get to choose whether to race for the lower entry fee or get the maximum track time.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Has anyone else looked at the May 29th and 30th LRP "I got your stimulus right here" race yet? It appears to me that it is $225 for Friday and $290 for Saturday! What ever happened to the 2 day single race regionals at LRP? Is this a Stimulus check for LRP, are they that bad off!!

I hope I am reading it wrong??

Stephen
    Single day Regional at $290. You are adding a test day.

And for me, if I am at a track for two days, I want two races. No practice and qual, hardship etc...QUAL and RACE. QUAL and RACE.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Exactly what Dick said.

Lime Rock gives us unmuffled days, they only have so many to go around. We decided to use the unmuffled days for test & tune for unmuffled cars. We asked if we could make this muffled to get the cost down but Lime Rock only has so many unmuffled days in their schedule.

It is nearly impossible to run at Lime Rock with the expenses and the complaints about lack of track time, the cost of staying over night and losing a day or 2 of work.

We hope you support NNJR with this. Please contact me if you have any comments, questions or observations. We race in NNJR, we are trying to keep that tradition alive. It isn't easy.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Look at it this way. A way better price than LRP provides for a test day - and they only give us half days. If you want to get fast at LRP, the Friday is a bargain.

And a one day for $290. Not cheap - but not bad for LRP. What I do like about the place is that you have Sunday back to work, kids, whatever.

And if you need a 'tie-breaker', go to support a Region who is trying it's best to support us.
    Andy Bettencourt

not cheap is right.....Ouch
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Guys,

As you may know I am on the board of NNJR. We rack our brains out at meetings trying to make things work. It should not be a surprise to anyone that things will not be easy financially at Lime Rock. You may be upset but this is one of the best solutions we can come up with. The other solution is we do not have to race at Lime Rock but I do not think this is what we really want. Darrell works harder than anyone to make things happen as does ours and other regions. Please do what you can do to support this race.

Other groups are getting over $350 for the day to run a PDX. THIS IS NOT RACING. What do you guys want??? We bring you ProIT and everyone is happy and we are a hero. The bottom line is suck it up and do what you can. PERSONALLY I am getting worn out fighting the system but this is my job and I must do it. We do this so that we all can race and do the things we love. I ask that YOU UNDERSTAND and support us the best way you can. Next year I may not be asking you for your support.

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca

Sorry fellas, but I do not read that this race will cost a penny more than $290.00.
    http://www.nescca.com/registration/Supps/09-R-595-S.pdf

The schedule beginning on Thursday evening, Friday with two sessions of practice, Saturday with a qualifier and race all listed in the same PDF as the sanctioning number. There is no mention in the registration supplemental regarding any extra fee for being on the track Friday or that track time is limited to the qualifier and the race.

Unless I am way off base and missing something, when I signed up last night and mailed my check this morning, I fully expect to be on track Friday and Saturday for $290.00.

Last edited by raffaelli; 04-28-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

It's been a while since I have seen the numbers for Lime Rock, but what a lot of drivers don't understand is the costs involved in racing there. The rental is HUGE. No, really, it's MASSIVELY HUGE. Dick provided it above: $53 THOUSAND dollars. I bet it's the highest per mile and per racing hour in the country. Or maybe just the highest. Seriously.

But wait, there's more. The region has to pay Lime Rock some ridiculous fee for a keg of beer. And the food, and the guy sitting in the ambulance and the tow truck, and on and on.

There's a phrase folks use about good deals that aren't: "The big print giveth, and the little print taketh away". That doesn't work at Lime Rock. For Lime Rock it should read "The big print screweth, and the little print screweth some more".

Add to the beating that Lime Rock provides, a region has numerous other expenses. That bottle of water you drink at tech on a hot day? Not donated by some sponsor. I know, because I've chaired races there, and I've paid for it. My bill for such things was around $400 one year. There are plenty of other costs that get incurred as well.

Short story, I bet NNJR is looking at over 60K to put a race on there. MoHud nearly disolved because of the financial hit they took there recently.

i agree with Dick and Andy, the test/race deal is a good one. The test day is cheaper than Lime Rock charges, will be run better, and will be longer. Trust me on this if you've never tested at Lime Rock. AND, you won't have to schlep the trailer home Tuesday night, just to schlep back Friday night.

More convenient, more track time, less towing costs and cheaper = winner.

I plan to test and race.

(my quote in my frst post was a song lyric just to see if anyone got it..nothing else...)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

NEWSFLASH

The paperwork is slightly confusing but the dates are clear at teh top of each page. Supps and registration exist for the T&T Friday and they also exist for the Race on Saturday. The schedule is redundant on both sets of docs but this is how it is:

Friday T&T for $225. Helluva deal.

Sat qual and race for $290. Solid price given previous years.

I don't want to sound preachy but our Regions are really out on a limb to provide us with LRP dates. If you want to race there, make it happen. If not, that is fine too, but don't be upset when it goes away forever. Up to us. These dollars aren't any more expensive than last years NJMP races. Times are tough for sure. Hopefully we can survive it.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

The paperwork is slightly confusing
    Actually, misleading at best.

Thought is was too good to be true.

See you Friday morning.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    It's been a while since I have seen the numbers for Lime Rock, but what a lot of drivers don't understand is the costs involved in racing there. The rental is HUGE. No, really, it's MASSIVELY HUGE. Dick provided it above: $53 THOUSAND dollars. I bet it's the highest per mile and per racing hour in the country. Or maybe just the highest. Seriously.

But wait, there's more. The region has to pay Lime Rock some ridiculous fee for a keg of beer. And the food, and the guy sitting in the ambulance and the tow truck, and on and on.

There's a phrase folks use about good deals that aren't: "The big print giveth, and the little print taketh away". That doesn't work at Lime Rock. For Lime Rock it should read "The big print screweth, and the little print screweth some more".

Add to the beating that Lime Rock provides, a region has numerous other expenses. That bottle of water you drink at tech on a hot day? Not donated by some sponsor. I know, because I've chaired races there, and I've paid for it. My bill for such things was around $400 one year. There are plenty of other costs that get incurred as well.

Short story, I bet NNJR is looking at over 60K to put a race on there. MoHud nearly disolved because of the financial hit they took there recently.

i agree with Dick and Andy, the test/race deal is a good one. The test day is cheaper than Lime Rock charges, will be run better, and will be longer. Trust me on this if you've never tested at Lime Rock. AND, you won't have to schlep the trailer home Tuesday night, just to schlep back Friday night.

More convenient, more track time, less towing costs and cheaper = winner.

I plan to test and race.

(my quote in my frst post was a song lyric just to see if anyone got it..nothing else...)
    Nice write up Jake. I can personally tell you that the NER CRB had many lengthy discussions about LRP and it came up more than one time to simply let the track go away. There are some people who like the track, but because of the expense those people are small and getting smaller each year. The $53 thousand dollars includes the Ambulance and Wrecker, but does not include the food, insurance, SCCA racing fees, etc. At the end of the day it costs a region well over $70 GRAND to rent LRP. You guys do the math. We typically loose our shirts at LRP and have to make it up at other tracks. Since the other tracks are all down, that means the regions are taking on HUGE risks. I sincerely think that if the car counts are down that LRP could loose more dates next year. And that's ok in my book as this is all about supply and demand. BUT if you don't like it than you have to attend... Talking about it, complaining about it, etc will not resolve the issue.

Just my .02

Jeremy - NER Road Racing Treasurer
    Jeremy Billiel

And that Jeremy, is what I think we need to do. If money is the problem at some tracks, then we have to cut the dates down at those venues thereby generating more demand through less supply and either accept less events or add them back in at tracks that may be less desirable and/or less convenient (NHMS and Pocono).

Like I said, its up to us. Demand will dictate the future.

This year we have 3 Regionals there. Maybe 2 is the answer. One May School/Regional and the NARRC Runoffs.

Also, the Pro IT race inside the National helps us all.
    Andy Bettencourt

Come on Palmer!!!

As much as I love LRP, two race events is probably going to be it for me there this year. At the pricing LRP demands it sure is a harder sell.

What do you guys want???
    Lime Rock to charge regions much less > regions to charge racers less. Won't happen in the short term but that's what people want.

I'm probably looking at the two LRP dates Andy mentioned.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    And that Jeremy, is what I think we need to do. If money is the problem at some tracks, then we have to cut the dates down at those venues thereby generating more demand through less supply and either accept less events or add them back in at tracks that may be less desirable and/or less convenient (NHMS and Pocono).

Like I said, its up to us. Demand will dictate the future.

This year we have 3 Regionals there. Maybe 2 is the answer. One May School/Regional and the NARRC Runoffs.

Also, the Pro IT race inside the National helps us all.
    Agreed 100%
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Lime Rock to charge regions much less > regions to charge racers less. Won't happen in the short term but that's what people want.

I'm probably looking at the two LRP dates Andy mentioned.
    Sorry Dave, Not going to happen. With LRP taking events off the table with the LRP club demand is still high and if we back out someone else will pay it. We either accept the price or leave. It's as simple as that unfortunately...
    Jeremy Billiel

Pricing themselves out of business imho....start the condo development plans...

Quote Originally Posted by BUMPnGO View Post
    Why do you say that? If they still have people going there how are they pricing themselves out of business?
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by BUMPnGO View Post
    They aren't. Maybe OUR business but there are PLENTY of clubs in line to take the dates. And our dates are a premium because they are the rare 103db days limited by the town ordinances. Cheaper days do exist - but at 89db, it ain't for racecars.
    Andy Bettencourt