Thread: Opinions on the Ford Contour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Opinions on the Ford Contour

I was taking a look at the IT rules the other day looking for a car that could be intresting to build and race, but which is not often seen on the track. I noticed the Ford Contour with the 2.5 liter V6 is classed in ITS. Has anyone ever seen one of these being run? Whats your opinions on its potential or lack thereof for IT?
    I'm a big fan of European Fords and with the Contour being an Americanized Mondeo I think it might be a fun car to have a go with.
    Also what would it take to get the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Contour added to the rulebook?
    I'm a little hazy on the homlogation procedure, but I'd like to see if I can get it added to ITA or ITB.

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts you guys can provide!

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

There's a guy named Todd Reid who runs a V6 Probe in NASA, in the mid-Atlantic area. Post your question at http://www.roadraceautox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2 and he'll find you.

EDIT - on the classification question, you need to submit a request to the SCCA board by email ([email protected]). Include if at all possible copies of technical information on the car - years, engine specifics, stock power/torque for the entire range of model/year you want considered, brake size, gear ratios, etc.

K
    Last edited by Knestis; 04-20-2009 at 08:25 AM.

I can't comment on it's competiveness but since I do own one as a daily driver I will post a few observations.

Suspension wise the car can be made to handle, you will need a limited slip diff of some kind though. Power wise the SVT version is the way to go. Doing the normal IT legal engine mods will not net you much more power, Ford did a good job at the factory, the only area where you will see a major incease will be on the exhaust side. The stock cats/exhaust manifolds are a major restriction.
    Last edited by jimbbski; 04-20-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try contacting Todd Reid as you suggested Knestis.
    I'd love to do a ITR Contour SVT but at the momment ITR is a bit out of my budget. I'm looking into ITS or ITA right now. I'm not 100% convinced on the Contour yet but I have started shopping around for a good condition V6 5 speed example, so who knows!

P.S. Andy that exact picture was my original inspiration!!
    Last edited by Zodiac; 04-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll try contacting Todd Reid as you suggested Knestis.
    I'd love to do a ITR Contour SVT but at the momment ITR is a bit out of my budget. I'm looking into ITS or ITA right now. I'm not 100% convinced on the Contour yet but I have started shopping around for a good condition V6 5 speed example, so who knows!

P.S. Andy that exact picture was my original inspiration!!
    How much more does an SVT cost to build over a slower one? In most cases the additional cost of the used car purchase is very minimal compared to the cost of a build and the ongoing cost of racing ...
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Spotted this SVT on Craigslist today.
    http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1203172712.html
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com