Thread: tech, battery hold down and dead pedal

Default tech, battery hold down and dead pedal

Hi,

I finally purchased a ride. It's an ITS E36. I need to take it out to an open track day to break in the motor and get used to the car. I live in Baltimore and want to go out on the 17th to Summit Point. Where can I get my car teched? Also, the OEM battery hold down does not work with the smaller battery. What do you guys use? Last, I would like to install a dead pedal. Any low cost suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
    Also, the OEM battery hold down does not work with the smaller battery. What do you guys use?
    Congrats on the new car!

Since batteries have to be a "similar" amp-hour and weight as the original stock battery ... just replace it with a stock battery and solve your problem.

I personally use the Deka AGM (instead of a lead-acid wet cell) stock-equivalent battery with the stock hold-downs in my BMW.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
    Also, the OEM battery hold down does not work with the smaller battery. What do you guys use? ?
    That might be a tip off that you've got something illegal on the car....stock size type and amperage batteries are to be used.

Furthermore, you want all the weight, where the battery is located, that you can legally get. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

If by tech'd you mean get your annual inspection, you should be able to do that after the test day at Summit as the DC Region's tech staff will be there for the MARRS 1 festivities.

You do not need an annual in order to run the track-administered practice day on Friday.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

thanks for the info. I'll check out the battery. I'll be there this Friday.

Is there a place to see the battery setup? This battery fits, is the correct amps and all, but does not have the hold down lip at the bottom of the battery for the stock clamp. I would hate to buy a new battery for that, but I'll do whatever it takes to get legal.

do what you need to to hold the battery down in the stock location. when it comes time to replace it, you can look for the bottom-clamp flange type. no one is going to call you on a battery hold-down unless you're begging for a protest or it's flagrantly out of line / serves additional purpose / etc...

Thanks. A moot point now. I went to Summit Point this Friday for practice and break in. Dead battery. It has 12 volts but no amps. It started every day and every time until I took it to the track. I had to jump start it everytime.