Thread: Fire Extinguisher Questions

Default Fire Extinguisher Questions

Sorry for the (potentially) dumb questions, but my searching hasn't educated me to my satisfaction.

1) I want to add a small fire extinguisher to my ITS car. What do I look for and where do I buy it? I assume mounting to the cage is preferred. Where do I get the mount, or how do I mount it? Do fire extinguishers have an expiration date?

2) The car currently has an AFFF fire bottle system (Zero-2000). There's an expiration date on it, and the US supplier charges me a small fortune to recertify it every two years. Is the fire system non-compliant if past the expiration date? Would adding a fire extinguisher make the expired fire bottle a moot issue?

Thanks,
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Sorry for the (potentially) dumb questions, but my searching hasn't educated me to my satisfaction.

1) I want to add a small fire extinguisher to my ITS car. What do I look for and where do I buy it? I assume mounting to the cage is preferred. Where do I get the mount, or how do I mount it? Do fire extinguishers have an expiration date?

2) The car currently has an AFFF fire bottle system (Zero-2000). There's an expiration date on it, and the US supplier charges me a small fortune to recertify it every two years. Is the fire system non-compliant if past the expiration date? Would adding a fire extinguisher make the expired fire bottle a moot issue?

Thanks,
    1) GCR spells it out. Handheld needs to meet certain capacity and have a metal bracket with a quick release latch. I fastened my metal bracket to the roll cage with hose clamps. Passed tech past four years with no problems.

2) This is only an opinion, but as long as there is a compliant extinguisher on board, I would think that the car would pass annual. However, is it wise to carry safety equipment that might be non-functional? Emergency crews waste time trying to activate it? If it was not functioning (or out of date) I think I would remove it. Just my opinion.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

YMMV as to mounting a hand held. A couple years ago, my tech guy told me to ditch the mount (with hose clamps) to the cage and bolt the mount to the floor. Frankly, there is nothing as strong as good hose clamps, but you cannot argue with tech folks.

Hand helds have to be 10BC per the GCR. They do not expire.

Hand helds have to be 10BC per the GCR. They do not expire.
    Hand helds don't expire, but they do get old. If they sit too long the chemical can kind of cake up. I've seen guys doing inspections on them (in industrial settings where they are requried to inspect every so often) will turn them upside down & shake them.

I think you will find that a marine application has a better mount for your car than what you'll find at HD.

FWIW I'd mount it to the floor just because its lower.