Thread: Need a new floor jack, suggestions?

Default Need a new floor jack, suggestions?

I had a old china made 2.5 ton floor jack that my wife bought for me at Sams 15 years ago. It started leaking down and won't pump now. I also have a sears 3 ton jack that I hate and it's too tall to go under the race car. So I am in need of a new jack. I have looked at the aluminum race jacks at HF and the Torin or Larin (I don't remember which) jacks at walmart, but I don't know what to get. I haven't looked at Sam's Club yet. I would like to get a jack that will last more than a year or two. The lighter the better also because I will be hauling it to the track, but I also don't want to spend my lifes savings on a new floor jack. Suggestions or jacks to avoid?
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

The Harbor Freight Aluminums are good value.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    The Harbor Freight Aluminums are good value.
    +1

Ours has lasted for years now. Though it is mostly used for track only weekends.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Default Floor Jack

"The Harbor Freight Aluminums are good value."

+2

I've had my Harbor Freight jack for 6 years and never had an issue. Haul it to the track and use it at home on various vehicles. My only complaint is that it won't lift my Superduty

+3 for Harbor Freight. My 3ton regularly lifts a 94 Suburban 4 years old and still going strong.

I've had a Sears aluminum jack for several years and can't say enough good things about it. They are well built and on sale regularly.

Feff

I've had two Sears Aluminum jacks, Jeff has had one, and they have all failed miserably at their intended purpose. In fact, the second POS Sears aluminum jack is still in my garage. Come and take it away, free to any home. I think they work fine if you leave them in the box. Take one for a SCCA race weekend and she's a goner.

+whatever on the Harbour Freight ally jacks. I have one and it still kicking after six years. The Sears jacks failed within a few months.

I just found the extra seal kit that actually came with the jack when I bought it. Now I have to figure out how to take it appart and see if that will fix it. I would still like to have a light weight aluminum jack to take to the track. This one isn't exactly light.
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

My stepbrother has one of the little harbor freight aluminum it has really been put through a lot of abuse over the last 4yrs. Its still working but will leak down on you.

I bought one from summit racing. Size is the same as the Harbor Freight but it feels better in quality. ( I cant seem to find the link at the moment)

I also have a 3ton Harbor freight that has been used in the garage for years. No problems with it has problems trying to lift the front of a F250 Diesel though.....

Does anyone have the JEGS racing jack?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/752655/10002/-1

They have this one on sale for $119.00. I looked at the $79.00 H.F. aluminum jack and it looked like a toy to me. The H.F. rapid lift aluminum jack looked much better, but it is $134.00. I am interested in the Jegs racing jack but it doesn't list the dimensions.

we have used two of the $139 HF jacks for years
    and they have worked fine for us.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47246

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

I am on the 3000 HF bangwagon...put jack oil in it once since they first came out....great product and right weight for an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by arpenn View Post

They have this one on sale for $119.00. I looked at the $79.00 H.F. aluminum jack and it looked like a toy to me. The H.F. rapid lift aluminum jack looked much better, but it is $134.00. I am interested in the Jegs racing jack but it doesn't list the dimensions.
    The Harbor Freight(134.00) and the Jegs jacks appear ro be the same as far as weight, lift height, The Jegs has an "exclusive 4 pump lift" vrs 6 for harbor freight plus it is on sale not sure how much freight might add to cost for either jack. unless you have an HF store near you. TW
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by arpenn View Post

I have a Jegs aluminum 1-1/2 ton, I think I paid $179 for it and I LOVE it! It's about 2+ years old now and it is so light I carry it around most the time instead of dragging it.
    There have been numerous threads about jacks on here and the sandbox and the general consensus is that the $ears crapsman is $hit. I agree, had one,(not aluminum) it died. The HF is hit and miss, some last years.

EDIT: at $119 the Jegs would be a steal

Default Jegs jack Vrs HF

Got one of the Jegs "On Sale" jacks. put it next to our HF jack and the Jegs seems to be a better jack (IMHO) frame seems stronger 4 pumps to full extend, the lift pad is is square and seems to be more stable The handle is larger diamater and its colorfull. They list a 2 ton but that is 189. for a 40 bucks more you can have 2 of the "on Sale ones" The Harbor Freight has served well for 4 years the only failure was the lower part of handle that turns the Valve rounded out so replaced that for 30.00 took 8 weeks to get but was off season so didn't matter. We will be at Pocono this weekend so if you like stop by and compare the 2 side by side. Should be in Garage 22 or 23. T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Stay away from the Torin/Big Red 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack. They come in red or blue and are the biggest POS. I have gone through 2 and neither one lasted more than a year. It won't even pump anymore, just like the last one.

They look like this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Torin-Aluminum-Race-Single-Piston/dp/B0007XRFD0[/ame]

I had gotten mine at PepBoys.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

the HF jacks are on sale this week $79.99 find a 20% coupon and your set

just bought this jack at HF on sale for $149.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92782

extra 20% off for buying the extended warranty, 3 year full warranty for 150.00 not a bad deal. normally would never buy the warranty but I think its a good move on one of these. if it fails they will give me a new one....