Thread: ITA CRX hardened hubs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unfortunatly I have had stock oem's fail after a couple of races, the problem is the radius on the back side by the bearing seat.

Having the hubs heat treated is the only way to go safely. I have been doing this for a couple of years now, and I know that most of the guys will get a couple of years out of a set. Plus it is something else to put out of your mind when your coming out of a fast sweeper (like the downhill at Lime Rock under full tilt 4th, and the tire wall is calling your name ... again)

Bearings should be replaced annually. The rear hubs do not have the same radius problem and therefore I have not had to harden any of them, but the rear bearings need to be replaced annually as well, since most fast guys run a lot of rear camber it puts a high load on the bearings.

Unfortunalty the hubs are not cheap, and heat treating done properly is just the cost of doing business. The hubs are one of the few items that I really push my guys to do since a failure will come out of the blue.
    Last edited by Tom Blaney; 04-06-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: additions