Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 240Z Race wheels

Default 240Z Race wheels

Our race car has 15x7 panasports I am looking for lighter replacement for the panos (aprox 16lb ea)In the 10-12 lb range. I also have 1 set of KODIAC wheels (junk!)thet I use for rains only. I started looking for wheels that fit (not many with the right offset and bolt pattern). The Volks look good but at 2 k per set a little rich for me. Was wondering what anyone can recomend that will fit the 240zs and be legal. Another wheel that looked promising was the Racing Heart CP035Rs @190ea seems to good to be true? Are they junk?
    I will want to eventually want 2 sets of whatever I buy, so any imput will be appricated.Thanks

Racing hearts not available in 15x7x114.5 and price wrong not 198$ but 489$ still looking.

SSR Comps are the only wheel I know if in the $200/10 lb price range. I ended up spending the money on Volks for my car (weird bolt pattern and offset).

I also think Team Dynamics will make Pro Race 2s in about any configuration for you and they may be 12-13 lbs.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The Spinwerks wheels come in right at 12-13 lbs and are around $175 each, or thereabouts. I'm using a set of those and got the idea from Steve Parrish, another SE Z racer.

Raon, are the spinwerks neutral offset?

I wish I could remember (I'm away so can't check right now, can when home). However, Spinwerks knew what was right on the Z car. There is a woman there I talked with, she seemed familar with Zs. Their website stinks and the wheels Steve and I have aren't shown on it (as of last summer), but, if you ask for some Z wheels they'll know what you're talking about.

Spinwerkz welds the center of the wheel in when you order them. So you can have any offset you chose.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Not that it really matters for a racecar, but do either of you have a picture of the wheels that fit on a z?? They would be a big improvement over what we are curruntly using. (17 lbs or so)

Here you go!

p.s. The company that makes these used to be part of Circle Wheels but they spun off the aluminum wheel division and it became Spin Werkes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Parrish57; 04-03-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Here you go!

they spun off the aluminum wheel division and it became Spin Werkes...
    Hopefully no pun intended....

Are they steel or alum.?

I saw the ROTA circuit 10 wheels they are 15x6.5 with +18 offset seem close but cannot find weight anyone know about them (are they junk?)

Stop the presses! I just found the new standard for IT racing! They are 6 pounds! And at $12K per set they will make them in any size/bolt pattern/offset you want!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Sorry Steve,
    More than a little rules creep there. Wheels must be metallic !!!
    ROFLMAO!! How many cars out there don't have 12k in the whole package!!! including tow rig!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Hey while we are at it lets make the whole car carbon fiber (plus steel fibers so magnets stick) and paint it black! stealth plus light weight and no one will spot you on the track or the tech station. I am sure they can make any body style for you. And all for 6-7 grand!!! no wait 600-700 grand??? "OOPS" Now back to reality.

I to would like to invest in a couple sets of wheels......I havn't yet "upgraded to the 15 inch wheel....that we are allowed now. I would be interested in 10 poundish wheels..... We pay what?....750 for a new set of hoosiers?...for a weekend or two of use......wheels are for ever, well sorta if you can keep from rubbing on stuff... $2000- even 3000 for a set of wheels, really is cheaper then a new set of hoosiers.... My set off panis have lasted several years now.....

Love to hear of options ...
    David
    30 year old ITS car

Quote Originally Posted by dspillrat View Post
    I to would like to invest in a couple sets of wheels......I havn't yet "upgraded to the 15 inch wheel....that we are allowed now. I would be interested in 10 poundish wheels..... We pay what?....750 for a new set of hoosiers?...for a weekend or two of use......wheels are for ever, well sorta if you can keep from rubbing on stuff... $2000- even 3000 for a set of wheels, really is cheaper then a new set of hoosiers.... My set off panis have lasted several years now.....

David

If you can spend the 2k, I'm not sure there is a better option than the Volks.

Quote Originally Posted by dspillrat View Post

David
    David... I went through the same process when I went to the 15's. First I talked to the Hoosier guys and they said there was very little reason to change from a tire standpoint. The only "upgrade" was to brake cooling. Just a little bit more room for airflow, especially at tracks like CMP. But for me the necessity came from the fact that my 14's were heavy and worn out. I needed new wheels anyway so I went for it.

The really hard part comes in finding a wheel with the right offset. The Panasports are great but they are heavy (by comparison). There are a lot of other wheels, SSR, Kosei, etc. but they are all offset too much requiring a thick spacer. I felt like that defeated the purpose of finding a light weight wheel.

Then I came across the Spinwerkes wheels and problem solved. You can get them for less than $200 each and they weigh around 12 pounds. If you are really determined to get down to 10 lbs each you will pay about double. (Volks come to mind, and you will probably wait forever to get them shipped).

I don't know much about the Team Dynamics but it might be worth the effort. Let us know!
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Guys, I just went through this (well, last off season). Decided to invest in two sets of Volks at 9.5 lbs each and two sets of Team Dynamics at 12.

VOlks were $400 each (wheel), and the TDs around $200.

Both made the wheels custom in my bolt pattern and offset. The TD rep I used was at 909-947-0114, I'll have to dig up the Volk rep if you guys want the contact information.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I'd second the SpinWerks wheels. They deliver quickly, look good, and are robust. 12lbs is fairly light and they were a bit less than $200 a wheel when I ordered last September.

The main reason I went to 15s was to have more leeway is using tire cast offs and interchangeability with my fellow racers in case of an emergency. Not many folks were using 14s. That said, I still have the 14"s around for rain tire use since I don't want to tie up a set of 15s.

For some cheap and very usable 15"s get the Koneig Wheels from the Z parts place. I have a set of these too and they come in at about 15 lbs. Nothing wrong with them at all and fit great.

Volks are really cool but expensive. I'm pretty sure Jeff grew a year older waiting for them. It really was that long.