Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: L Series, 240Z,260Z,280Z Billet Dampener/Pulleys Offered

Good enough. I'll report back the results after the 90 min enduro.
    Thanks again. Pablo

I think it'll be fine. According to the hour meter we've got around 7.5 hours of runtime on the new engine with the races, practice, and qualifying. The ECR was 1.5 hours of that time. Thus far no ill effects and no movement of the pulley.

Ron, do you just run these on with the bolt and an impact wrench as snug as they are, or do you use a specific tool to press them on? With the Perfrmonce Products unit we tried the boil method, but ended up having to use a brake hone to open it up ever so slightly.

Mine was a very snug fit. I torched it briefly with a propane torch - heating evenly and gently now (didn't get it above around 180F-200F), and then allowed the crank bolt and washer to press it on. Fit just fine I think. If you like hone it a bit for a better fit, sounds like a good idea.

My performance products Euro dampener was as you mentioned, had to be opened a bit to fit.

Ron

Arrow

I think we're just about out of pulleys.

There are six left on my desk but of those:

2 are for David Spillman
    1 for Mike M
    1 is on Ebay right now

So that leaves two units left. If anyone is feeling the need for one please let me know. They sure went fast. Maybe another run will be in order and get them on the Z forums, but for now all were sold to IT racers and a couple on Ebay.

Ron

all Gone!

I wish my projects sold that quickly! That is great. I sent the paypal a few minutes ago. It has been kind of crazy lately.

Mike

Talking soggy singles.......

HI Ron,
    Sweet looking pulley...... One question, little off subject, but I'm curious.

I got 5 one dollar bills, taped to my pulley.... little soggy, slightly sweaty smelling.... You don't happen to have a after hours job do you?? Just Curious .....

David,...
    30 year old ITS car

Ah, sheet, I sent you yours already? That's right, you paid too much so I had to send some bills back. Sorry, I just got off the late night dance shift and only netted a few ones that evening. Cheap wedding crowd.

Well.......that means there are:

Two more pulleys left!

Mike I will get yours out on Monday.

Thanks,
    Ron

Ron,

Ok, save one of the last two for me. How do I get you the money?
    Are you going to be at Road Atlanta in May?

Tom Donnelly

Hi Tom,

I'll save one for you, one pulley left. Check up in the earlier part of the thread for PayPal or check address.

Best,
    Ron

Mike, yours is out. Tom, yours is pending shipping/payment. One unit left, if nobody needs it I'll put it on Ebay later this afternoon.

Thanks all,
    Ron

Got mine last night, very nice. Although not enought to impress my wife or daughters, maybe if it had an MP3 player on it or something!!!

Very nice part, can't wait to put it on my car and make vroom sounds!!

Mike

Glad you like it!!

One fellow asked about harmonic dampening and would this piece cause an issue in the regards. The two engine guys I've talked to about it, one of course being a well-known L series builder, Sam, and the other a very good V8 builder that machines my L series stuff for me, think no.

The stock piece is one hunk of metal and is heavier than this piece. However, race engine builders routinely fight on both ends of the crank (dampener, clutch, flyhweel, pressure plate) to reduce weight and have no ill effects. If the L series engine was going to be hurt by a reduction in crank pulley weight you'd also think it'd get hurt by a reduction in flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch weight. I dropped five pounds off my pressure plate and 1.5 pounds off my clutch, the sum total being much more than the difference in this piece from stock.

It is certainly a use at your own risk part but I think it is fine. The motor I have wearing one now has about 8 to 10 hours on it (one ECR, three SAARCs, plus associated practice and qualifiying for each) and seems to have no ill effects. Runs like a champ. The new motor Sam Neave is building for me is going to wear one also.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Hi Tom,

I'll save one for you, one pulley left. Check up in the earlier part of the thread for PayPal or check address.

Best,
    Ron
    Ron,

Sending out the check tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom,

Please send me your address and I'll send out the pulley.

Thanks!
    Ron

One thought on installation of this pulley or any other. If you get a replacement bolt from a fastener store and cut the head off, and then grind a generous fillet on the cut end, then do the same to some 1/2" or 3/4" acme thread rod and weld the two together with lots of heat. I actually center bored each for a roll pin to get them perfectly aligned, but I get that way some times. Then take a 4" section of 1 3/4" or 2", I don't remember which, roll bar tubing, weld a 3/16" plate over one end and then drill a hole in the end big enough for the acme threaded rod to fit through. Weld a 4-6" piece of 1" X 1/8" flat on for a handle, looking like an upside down L, with the handle on the same end that the plate is welded on. Thread the metric bold into the crank as far as it will go, put the pulley on as best you can, slide the tubing over the threaded rod and spin the nut on until it bottoms on the plate. Simply turn the acme threaded nut to drive the pulley onto the crank. This is a lot easier on the crank threads as you are not sliding on the threads and you are fully engaged. I have seen times using the stock bolt that there were only a few threads engaged. This can mess up a crank, and a day with it!

I haven't put the new pulley on, but it works great on the others.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Hey Tom,

Please send me your address and I'll send out the pulley.

Thanks!
    Ron
    Tom Donnelly

Thanks Ron, the check's in the mail! (I had to say that)
    Last edited by Tom Donnelly; 06-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Sanded down the inside bore a bit, make sure the key was seated down in the groove. placed pulley in toaster over set at 180 deg. ck temp increase with infrared temp gauge used heavy leather glove aling groove with key slide it in place waited a bit to cool down torqued to 100lbs. total time about 45 min including taking off the old one

Ron,

Got the pulley. Thanks!

Tom