I’ve finally received the batch of billet aluminum underdrive pulley dampeners for the Datsun L series engines and am offering some for sale. Basically these are solid billet copies of the Euro single grove dampener/pulley that is available; however, this design cannot break. I have had two engines done in by the Euro dampener failure and after VIR in Oct 2008 I had had enough.

These units are billet aluminum and anodized black. They will bolt on to any L series motor as far as I know and to facilitate that they DO NOT have timing marks. You will need to install the dampener/pulley at TDC and then scribe your own mark on the pulley.

One nice feature about these dampener/pulleys is that they are a 33% underdrive. Therefore you can use your standard water pump and alternator pulleys and achieve a reduction in parasitic loss and slow down your accessories. It work beautifully – I have run this unit on my 260Z now for about four track hours runtime and the cooling is better than my old setup with the Euro dampener and stock water pump pulley. Alternator charging is just fine too.

If you are using standard pulleys on the alternator and water pump the proper belt size, at least on my 260Z, is 32 inches and a 15 series belt. Advance Auto has this as part number 15320 on their hanging belts with a blue packaging.

Each dampener will cost $110, or $115 if you need it shipped to you. I’ll be bringing some of them down to CMP this weekend. Right now I have three reserved for Steve P, three for myself, leaving 16 of the units available. What doesn’t get taken by the racers will be offered on Ebay and there I’ll try and recover a bit of money on them offering them for around $140 to $150.

If you’d like one or some post here, PM me, or shoot me an email at rlearp “at” gt40s.com.
Here are some photos of the completed units and the un-anodized prototype on my race motor.

Thanks,

Ron